Semi state status

E

emmt

Anybody got any idea if there is a set amount of money employees would receive for losing their semi state status...for e.g. if the department they work in (in a semi state company) is outsourced?

thanks

Well if you lose your job then you get redundancy.

If your job and department is being transferred/sold to a private entity, e.g. BOI's IT Department going to HP a few years ago, then you get nothing.

Welcome to the real world!!

There is no set amount AFAIK.

Is your organisation a commercial semi state (like ESB, Bord Gais etc, revenue generating) or a non commercial semi state agency?

In the commercial semi state sector a redundancy package will be agreeed with the unions. Typically the package will be a bit better than statutory but not as good as some of the better packages offered in the private sector.

ajapale

If your job and department is being transferred/sold to a private entity, e.g. BOI's IT Department going to HP a few years ago, then you get nothing.
The BOI guys got a pretty sweet deal for moving to HP if I recall correctly. They also got HP to recognise their union, which was a worldwide first for HP.

thanks for that. I work for a commercial semi state company (very much in the real world Sherman!) and may have the opportunity of voluntary redundancy. Would rather stay in the job I have but have to look at the reality of it and consider whether it would be better to take the money and get another job (maybe better, maybe worse) or stay and hope things worked out in an outsourcing situation. Tis really six of one, half a dozen of the other since you'd need the gift of prophecy here. was just wondering if there was a standard set amount for the loss of semi state status that i could consider as a figure to help in the decision making process..

Hi emmt,

Some more questions you should consider.

How long have you worked for the commercial semistate organisation? What are your terms and conditions (over the last few years many css's have hired employees on contract)? Are you a memeber of the css's superannuation scheme (remember there are some benefits accruing to membership of these defined benefit schemes which are unlikely to be availiable on the "outside"). How secure is the business in the medium to long term. How secure is your department, location or facility? If you have a partner are they also in the public service, semistate sector or civil service?

ajapale

Semi State

Just on a related question.
What is the difference between a state company and a semi state company?

Re: Semi State

Hi roy,

There is no difference. In a state (or semistate) company the shares are 100% owned by the Government. Examples of this are the ESB, Bord Gas etc.

As I mentioned above there is an important distinction between commercial semistate organisations and semistate agencies such as Fas etc.

ajapale

Back