Selling Vodafone shares - clueless

All my mother-in-law says about the issue is "I thought the solicitor sorted all that but I am still getting cheques for him" It comes up everytime something arrives in the letterbox about vodafone, I tell her I will sort it and it gets forgotten about until the next time some bumpf arrives.

In any case I will let you know how I get on, hopefully it has been overlooked completely and I can just sell them online and lodge the money into a bank account avoiding the hassle of getting a cheque in his hame which I usually have trouble cashing.

My mother still gets the dividend cheques for my father's shares and can lodge them even though I think they're in his name! I tried signing her up for the DRIP scheme to avoid these small cheques but for some reason could not. I don't think that she can sell his shares while they are in his name. It'll be interesting to know how you get on - thanks.

I've just come across [broken link removed] page, perhaps you can try this route to do the name change?

Thanks - I might try that but I suspect that the "U/D" designation on my late father's shares may be significant and may prevent anything being done until the necessary paperwork is processed. The problem is documented elsewhere but basically Vodafone/Computershare wanted a grant of probate etc. but the will/estate did not go to probate. Then they wanted some "small estates indemnity form" which we sent but they rejected the application for some reason but held onto the draft for c. £65 in admin fees. I must get back to this and try to get it sorted once and for all. :(

Thats a pity that they are making it so difficult for people, I hope we are not "U/D" as I keep getting nagged about it everytime there is vodafone stuff in the post.

Well the added complication was that my mother had lost all of the original share certs (her own and my father's) so the situation was even more complicated (e.g. also needed a letter of indemnity to get the original shares issued before transferring them to her name). However since Vodafone issued new shares last year after their capital repayment/restructuring this issue has gone away. So basically - our situation was complicated so I'm not surprised that there was hassle. Don't know why they never returned the draft for the money though... :(

I tried to sell the shares this evening and it appears to have succeeded. However, there is another problem, they will require us to send them the share certificate and they will issue a cheque but I doubt I will be able to locate the share certificate. The value of the shares is only about €100 so I don't know if it will be worth the hassle.

Like yourself the estate was only transferred between husband and wife so it may not have gone to probate etc. especially if they are likely to look for £65 in administration fees.

I thought that the Vodafone small shareholder postal dealing service had relatively competitive charges albeit probably no option to do limit orders?

Do you have further info on this please ?

(besides whats on this link: [broken link removed] )

In my opinion anybody who is stuck with a tiny amount of these shares they are not selling should not be receiving sterling cheques for tiny amounts which they will be charged to cash in and also charged to convert into euro currency. They should be signed up to the DRIP dividend reinvestment plan. ....

True,

Assuming the holding is large enough to buy you a number of shares each year, from the dividends - are there charges for this btw ?

I tried to sell the shares this evening and it appears to have succeeded. .....

What were their costs pls, was it just €19 ?

Postal share dealing service
A low cost postal share dealing service is available for holders of 1000 shares or less through our Registrars, Computershare Investor Services PLC. Shareholders may use the service to either increase their holding or sell their entire holding. The commission is £12.50 or €19.00. In addition stamp duty, currently at 0.5%, is payable on purchases. Shareholders wishing to take advantage of this service should contact Computershare at the address given below to obtain the necessary documentation.

You can contact Computershare at the following address:
Computershare Investor Services PLC
P. O. Box 82
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
Bristol
BS99 7NH
England
Or by telephoning a representative on:
+44 (0)870 702 0198
(phone lines open between 09.00 and 17.00 GMT)
Telephone share dealing service
Computershare also provide a telephone share dealing service, through which you are able to:
Buy or sell your shares quickly and simply
Have the share price at which you deal confirmed whilst you are still on the telephone
Call directly without needing to complete any forms in advance
Receive sale proceeds in either Euros (EUR) or Sterling (GBP)
Find out more by telephoning a representative on:
+44 (0)870 703 0084
(phone lines open between 08.00 and 16.30 GMT)

Thanks

True,

Assuming the holding is large enough to buy you a number of shares each year, from the dividends - are there charges for this btw ?

As far as I am aware the cost is about as good value as you can get and you're charged proportionally and not like with a stockbroker who would charge a flat fee in excess of the small purchase of shares . Even my mothers holding of 400 euro manages to add something like 2 shares a year. Its not much but further down the line the company could be bought out by private equity eliminating stock broker fees or else head towards a point where it is economic to deal with a stock broker.
So its a really good home for your dividend .. assuming the shares rise in value of course.

Do you have further info on this please ?

(besides whats on this link: [broken link removed] )
What more information do you need? I'm not sure if they only allow for market orders rather than limit orders.
Yes - see [broken link removed]. The low cost share dealing charges apply as does UK stamp duty of 0.5% on purchases.

I too am looking to sell Vodafone shares.

I have my original certificate which was 400 shares. However, having checked online my actual holding is now 350 shares following the reorganisation that vodafone did in the shares.

Does anyone know if new share certificates were issued at the time of the reorganisation or is it my original certificate that is the still the one I need to send to the broker to sell them.

Does anyone know if new share certificates were issued at the time of the reorganisation or is it my original certificate that is the still the one I need to send to the broker to sell them.
Yes - new share certs were issued at the time. The old shares (certs) are worthless. They did not ask for them to be returned at the time just that you disposed of them securely. Are you sure that your shareholding is in certificate form and what you're looking it are actually share certs and not just nominee account statements or something? You should contact ComputerShare UK about Vodafone shareholding queries such as this.

Just sold some Vodafone shares using computershare with settlement date of 26/11/08.
Today I got letter from computershare to say that as I was still on the shareholder register as at 21/11/08 I will still receive a dividend payment with total value of only a few Euro. I was in the DRIP scheme, so I should get maybe 3 or4 shares .
They want me to write a cheque and send it off to them.
The problem is I do'nt want the extra shares.
How would I sell them ? It would cost me badly.

I wanted to put this whole nightmare behind me for once and for all, but it looks as though I may be haunted by it for a while yet.
Any ideas ?

Billo

Are you sure you read your letter properly? I got one today from computershare too, but the gist of it was that they wanted a cheque because they'd paid me the recent small dividend even though I was no longer a shareholder (the shares had been sold but not actually transferred). It's only a few euro, hardly worth sending a cheque, and hardly worth their while processing it. How enforceable is this - to be honest I couldn't be bothered sending them the sixteen euro or whatever it is...

Hi Extopia.
I am sure I read the letter properly
Here is an extract

"Following your recent sale of 348 shares, you are no longer entitled to receive dividend payments on this stock.
Unfortunately, as you were still on the Shareholders Register on November 21 2008, the date the Registrar uses to determine who to pay, you will still receive a dividend payment. This will be at a rate of 2,77 cents per share, giving a total value of €9.66 payable on February 6 2009.
However, as you sold your shares before the Ex-Dividend dateof November19,2008 which determines who is entitled to the dividend , we must recover this amount from you so that it maybe sent to the new shareholder.
We would be grateful if you could forward us a personal cheque made payable to TD Waterhouse" etc.

Thanks for the reply

Billo

In my opinion anybody who is stuck with a tiny amount of these shares they are not selling should not be receiving sterling cheques for tiny amounts which they will be charged to cash in and also charged to convert into euro currency.

My dad is also getting cheques for small amounts. Does he be charged a fee by Vodafone each time he cashes the cheque? If so any idea how much this would be. I am also going to look about cashing these in for him later

does anybody know the vodafone dividend for feb. i.e what was the dividend per share?

My dad is also getting cheques for small amounts. Does he be charged a fee by Vodafone each time he cashes the cheque?

No. And in fact he can arrange direct deposit to his bank account rather than have to lodge those tiny cheques.

I have sold some Vodafone shares through the on line process and I am posting my info here so others will undersand it and the cost process.

Your current holding (shares):177 *

Closing price per share (last available price) 120.1000p
Please note the following calculation is based on the last available price quoted, as stated above. This price may change when the market opens. The following details are displayed for information purposes only:

Estimated amount of money raised before charges: £ 212.58
Estimated dealing Charges: £ 15.00
Estimated total amount of money raised after charges: £ 197.58

Last edited:
Back