selling Used items on Ebay

bipped

Does anyone know if there are any tax implications with selling personal used items on Ebay? Not a second-hand buisiness that sources items and then resells then online, just stuff from decluttering or clear-outs of unused things. Thanks

Not a tax expert, but I don't imagine for one minute that Revenue will be in the slightest bit interested.

Very unlikely you would sell anything of sufficient value on ebay to make them interested.

I mean if you discover a Caravaggio in your granny's attic there might be CAT implications but you wouldn't be selling that on ebay.

If you're selling what they class as 'wasting chattel', second hand cars or your old stereo/phone, then no there are no tax implications. If you're selling secondhand items that would incur a sizeable gain then you're into CAT as mentioned above. But even then there's a €2500ish exemption limit i.e. anything below €2500 would be exempt. You would have to be making a business of buying and selling to incur any income tax and/or VAT liability.

Last edited:
Also just to add... You will lose 10-15% with Ebay in fees so, if you are in Ireland, I'd recommend adverts.ie as it's free to list and there are no seller/buyer fees

Also just to add... You will lose 10-15% with Ebay in fees so, if you are in Ireland, I'd recommend adverts.ie as it's free to list and there are no seller/buyer fees
100% use Adverts or Donedeal or even Facebook marketplace before Ebay. Ebay can be great for selling but you'll usually take a bit of a % hit, both from ebay & paypal. Sometimes if you have something you know is worth something, ebay is the place for it....sometimes easier to sell at the price you want rather than haggling on adverts. I generally put it up on all sites then when it goes just remove it from the others!

Back