Selling to county council

Thanks for that , God it seems a long time , I was hoping to have it done by Christmas as we are hoping to buy a new family home ourselves , that sort of a time frame would really delay us
Selling privately may not be any faster. You will probably need to wait until property is vacant, before starting the process...there is a bit involved once the solicitors get involved. Pros and Cons...

Selling privately may not be any faster. You will probably need to wait until property is vacant, before starting the process...there is a bit involved once the solicitors get involved. Pros and Cons...
Very true , will wait and see . Have to say with the lack of accommodation I did think they would be more responsive

I may not fully understand but why would you chase them to buy?
If they drag their heels & the Tenants are approaching their vacate date just put it on the open market or at least notify FCC of your intent to do so.
I would struggle to evict a young mother and 3 children Christmas week. As much as we would love to sell the property I would struggle to see her homeless, she is an excellent tenant. I am hoping this scheme works for us both. selling to FCC works for me as I don't have to pay estate agent fees, deal with covering the mortgage myself while property would be vacant on open market and sale going through which could be months or paying for upgrades like fresh paint before it goes to market.

By way of update tenant has received a call asking if she is happy to stay in accommodation if FCC purchase, she must accept this which she has. Next step is valuation of property by FCC they will send out a inspector then I will receive an offer, this will take another 4-8 weeks.

I've just gone sale agreed with Fingal Co Co. My tenants are long term on HAP. I gave them over two years notice, (when the part four tenancy ends) So far the process has only take 3 weeks. I gave my tenants notice, organised a BER, FCC sent a valuer and a surveyor on the same day then made me a offer.

I've just gone sale agreed with Fingal Co Co. My tenants are long term on HAP. I gave them over two years notice, (when the part four tenancy ends) So far the process has only take 3 weeks. I gave my tenants notice, organised a BER, FCC sent a valuer and a surveyor on the same day then made me a offer.
can I asked if the sale price was close to market value, were you able to negotiate with them?

Why not sell on the open market?
you have guaranteed rent until the day the sale closes. The risk of the sale dragging on months between solicitors and my house vacant with no rental income is not something I want. I have purchased 3 properties in my life the quickest closed in 4 months the longest took 8 months. also no estate agent fees.

Whats the process for selling to the council, eg they do a survey of the house ,if they decide to buy it ,they go through the legal process ,re deed,s ,ber, etc at what point do they take over the house , eg secure the house ,
Is it like a private sale ,eg when both contracts are signed . Why does it take a year to complete the legal process for DCC. is the survey basically they just walk around and photograph all the rooms, measure the rooms and measure the garden ?
do they come back more than once to measure insulation or other aspects of the building

Last edited:
Whats the process for selling to the council, eg they do a survey of the house ,if they decide to buy it ,they go through the legal process ,re deed,s ,ber, etc at what point do they take over the house , eg secure the house ,
Is it like a private sale ,eg when both contracts are signed . Why does it take a year to complete the legal process for DCC. is the survey basically they just walk around and photograph all the rooms, measure the rooms and measure the garden ?
do they come back more than once to measure insulation or other aspects of the building
For the tenant in situ scheme you must have a HAP tenant and given legal notice to the tenant to end the lease.
You contact DCC and fill in an expression of interest form, both yourself and the tenant will have paper work to fill out. You will need a BER on the property and basic information on the property, no of bedrooms, bathrooms etc. DCC will then inspect the property and if they wish to proceed offer a price. The DCC and your own solicitor would close the sale. There would be no estate agent involved. There is no time frame on how quickly yours or there solicitor works.

DCC have various schemes for buying private houses/apartments, the tenant in situ scheme is currently one of the.

Less hassle and no guarantee you will do any better.
100% agree. Conversely, I was trying to agree a sale to a tenant (non HAP). I was offering it at a fair price based on the market valuation. The tenant was looking for a larger discount. If we were close I would have agreed a sale. Based on my experience of both, I would sell to a council any day over a sale to a sitting tenant.

For the tenant in situ scheme you must have a HAP tenant and given legal notice to the tenant to end the lease.
You contact DCC and fill in an expression of interest form, both yourself and the tenant will have paper work to fill out. You will need a BER on the property and basic information on the property, no of bedrooms, bathrooms etc. DCC will then inspect the property and if they wish to proceed offer a price. The DCC and your own solicitor would close the sale. There would be no estate agent involved. There is no time frame on how quickly yours or there solicitor works.

DCC have various schemes for buying private houses/apartments, the tenant in situ scheme is currently one of the.
Its no longer for just HAP tenants. If the tenant is not on HAP and there is reasonable evidence they would have difficulty in finding a new home on the open market, the council are supposed to refer the case on to the Housing Agency who will look at buying it for cost rental.
I assume this mostly means the tenants are not high income earners & in a category who might struggle to find a replacement home.

Did FCC end up purchasing your property? I have an application in with FCC however unsure if they will be interested in the property as it is an apartment with a management fee. It’s currently at assessment stage .

Did FCC end up purchasing your property? I have an application in with FCC however unsure if they will be interested in the property as it is an apartment with a management fee. It’s currently at assessment stage .
last update I got was it was on a senior managers desk. tenant is due to vacate by Dec 16th 2023 so clock is ticking. Mine is also a duplex with management fees. We are still waiting for an inspection on the property from the council, after this I believe we will be made an offer.

last update I got was it was on a senior managers desk. tenant is due to vacate by Dec 16th 2023 so clock is ticking. Mine is also a duplex with management fees. We are still waiting for an inspection on the property from the council, after this I believe we will be made an offer.
Apparently they are currently dealing with evictions due to expire this month so it appears there is a huge backlog and will be a last minute offer closer to the time

Apparently they are currently dealing with evictions due to expire this month so it appears there is a huge backlog and will be a last minute offer closer to the time
I suspect you are right and they will deal with it at the 11th hour! it is unfortunate if it doesn't work out it gives a lot of false hope to tenant, but gives me a stronger position to negotiate sale price if they have left it too late for tenant to find alternative accommodation.

I suspect you are right and they will deal with it at the 11th hour! it is unfortunate if it doesn't work out it gives a lot of false hope to tenant, but gives me a stronger position to negotiate sale price if they have left it too late for tenant to find alternative accommodation.
I’m not sure if yours is a one bedroom also however they seem to be focusing on purchasing one beds as there is very little stock of one beds being built. I’m unsure of price caps they have in regards to making offers, information is very hard to come by

mine is a 3 bed, 2 bath duplex. Currently have HAP tenant in situ one adult, 4 children. Unfortunately I can no longer keep this property as rent doesn't come close to mortgage payment and expenses. She is a good tenant so hoping tenant in situ scheme works out for us both. will keep this thread updated if the sale works out to county council. Started the process in mid July 2023.

Back