Selling to county council

mendacity

Hi
Just wondering has anyone experience of selling a house directly to the county council. I have a long term HAP tenant. Ideally the council would buy with tenant in situ.

The council are unlikely to be interested with a HAP tenant in situ, they purchase properties for social housing and not those expected to source accommodation via the private sector,

I tried to sell my apt to Dun Laoghaire Co. Council. It was a positive that they were on RAS for Co.Co and I guess same applies for HAP. Ultimately they didn't get to offer stage as they said they had too many of the same type of property already on the books or soon to come on stream in the same area so they do look at things case by case.

Reactions: Leo
Going through the process at the moment with SDCC. The tenant is on the RAS scheme.
Hi there I’ve just send the EOI to SDCC a month ago , have heard nothing since . My tenant is on hap . How are you getting on with the process , can I ask how long it has taken and did they make you a reasonable offer

I am also a month in the process with Fingal County Council, tenant is on HAP. FCC are only considering applications where notice to end tenancy through RTB has been given to tenant. I have done this. Both the tenant and myself had to complete forms from FCC, info required from me the landlord was basic on property, valuation, and energy rating certification. Tenant information was basic also HAP reference number, housing application number. I have been advised by FCC 90% of the applications result in sale agreed. Tenancy is due to end Dec 2023, I will be interested to see how close to the deadline FCC leave it to engage further or if I will need to chase it.

Contacted SDCC. I have two years left on a long term lease. Got talking and council official more or less said I would be wasting my time until nearer the end of the lease.

I am also a month in the process with Fingal County Council, tenant is on HAP. FCC are only considering applications where notice to end tenancy through RTB has been given to tenant. I have done this. Both the tenant and myself had to complete forms from FCC, info required from me the landlord was basic on property, valuation, and energy rating certification. Tenant information was basic also HAP reference number, housing application number. I have been advised by FCC 90% of the applications result in sale agreed. Tenancy is due to end Dec 2023, I will be interested to see how close to the deadline FCC leave it to engage further or if I will need to chase it.
I may not fully understand but why would you chase them to buy?
If they drag their heels & the Tenants are approaching their vacate date just put it on the open market or at least notify FCC of your intent to do so.

Hi there I’ve just send the EOI to SDCC a month ago , have heard nothing since . My tenant is on hap . How are you getting on with the process , can I ask how long it has taken and did they make you a reasonable offer
I am in this process with DCC. I gave notice in Feb to HAP tenant. Its slow.

If they drag their heels & the Tenants are approaching their vacate date just put it on the open market or at least notify FCC of your intent to do so.
Selling with tenants in situ is not a great strategy. FCC would only be interested in a property wherr notice has been served, so telling them again is telling them what they already know

Selling with tenants in situ is not a great strategy.
Agreed but if the vacate date approaches & FCC is stalling/not engaging then I'd just drop the idea of selling to them. Vacate the current tenants & sell on the open market.

Don't be beholden to a single purchaser.

Considering selling to FCC. How do they go about valuing your property etc?

Like said, you need to give tenant notice or they won't deal with you.
I got it valued and they made an offer 10K below my valuation. I rang them and they upped it by 5K which I accepted.
It's with the solicitors now but all straight forward so far. They told me the process would take 4 to 6 months...

Like said, you need to give tenant notice or they won't deal with you.
I got it valued and they made an offer 10K below my valuation. I rang them and they upped it by 5K which I accepted.
It's with the solicitors now but all straight forward so far. They told me the process would take 4 to 6 months...
Thank you for coming back to me . I issued the termination notice at the same time as sending in the EOI . Do you mean 4-6 months from when you sent them the EOI ?

Thank you for coming back to me . I issued the termination notice at the same time as sending in the EOI . Do you mean 4-6 months from when you sent them the EOI ?
So I issues notice of termination in February. I had to give tenant 7 months notice. SDCC then asked me to complete Expression of Interest form which included valuation.
I heard nothing for about 3 months and then they came out and valued it.
Couple of weeks later they made an offer which I accepted about a month ago.
They said it may take 4 - 6 months from then due to how busy they are which I am fine with.

So I issues notice of termination in February. I had to give tenant 7 months notice. SDCC then asked me to complete Expression of Interest form which included valuation.
I heard nothing for about 3 months and then they came out and valued it.
Couple of weeks later they made an offer which I accepted about a month ago.
They said it may take 4 - 6 months from then due to how busy they are which I am fine with.
Thanks for that , God it seems a long time , I was hoping to have it done by Christmas as we are hoping to buy a new family home ourselves , that sort of a time frame would really delay us

Back