Selling to county council

LifeBegins

I have gone sale agreed on a house in Donegal; selling to the County Council.

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience selling to the CoCo? I’m trying to get a timeline in my head so I can estimate how many more mortgage payments I’m likely to need to make before closing. How fast or slow do they move in comparison to private purchasers? I’m concerned that the time of year will mean the appropriate people will be away due to annual leave etc. I’m also guessing there will be several people/departments involved.

Also, can I now start counting my chickens? Are the County Council likely to withdraw an offer once made?

Any and all stories/experience would be welcome.

In my experience co.council were very quick to close (few weeks). Unlikely they will withraw an offer once made but I would still err on the side of caution before making any financial commitments based on an event that isn't signed, sealed and delivered yet.

They will want the house completely empty and all belongings/rubbish removed before they will sign off on the payment so better to get that sorted.

Thanks for your response. I had brought the house to market with furniture and fittings included but I guessed the CoCo would want an empty shell.

A terrible waste of perfectly good furniture and white goods that a future tenant would probably appreciate.

Guess I need to try to sell all those things as I can’t transport or store at my current location.

1. Consider having a sale at your house to offload your contents that you won't need. Advertise with a decent size poster outside or on windows.
2. DoneDeal is not a bad place to sell stuff.
3. The stuff you don't need is useless to you so sell off as cheap as possible ensuring you get paid in cash and items purchased are collected.
4. We were offloading furniture a couple of years ago (free). I approached a neighbour (east european) who took the lot and gave it to other immigrants. We were upgrading so older furniture was of no value to us.

Reactions: jim
Thanks Leper, good suggestions there. I wonder can I leave things like cooker, hob and integrated fridge freezer?

Back