Selling Shares - Tax Implications

Dman35

Hi

I just looking for some advice on the following from a tax perspective.

Back in 2007 I brought a number of shares (900) in Company A. These shares have since dropped hugely in value so are now are worth about 1/10th of their original value.

However about 1 yr ago while the value was very low I brought another number of shares (10,000) in the same Company.
They have since increased by @ 300% from this lower price.

If I was to sell some of these shares now @ 5000 can I write off the capital gains I make on these against my loses from my original purchase of shares in this company (back in 2007)?

I believe their is a Capital gains threshold of €1270 p.a so presume I don't have to pad taxes on the first 1270 of gains either way?

Tks for any advice.

I have some shares via my AIB on line share account. If I sell these will my associated current account just be credited with the proceeds and then its up to me to sort out the tax side of things? Will I receive any paper work from AIB? I'm afraid if I sell them I'll forget all about it and never pay the tax!

Thanks in advance

Is this Annual €1270 Exemption just for Capital Gains?

a) selling 900 will get you a loss
b) 4100 will give you a gain
c) Annual exemption 1270
cgt on a+b-c[/QUOTE]

Re: Annual Exemption
Is this Annual Exemption just for Capital Gains?
Or is it part of an annual personal tax exemption?

thanks in advance,
g

what are the exemptions for capital loss

i have 500 euro worth of shares which once were worth 1600
if i sell will i have to pay tax on them thanks

mobilephone. When did you buy them and how much did they cost?. Have you any other trades this year?.

bought them in 2000
terrible waste of money
no trades since 2010 i think
the ones i sold then were ESSP ones
thanks

mobilephone. When did you buy them and how much did they cost?. Have you any other trades this year?.

You will not have to pay any tax as you apparently are not making a profit. Keep a record of the purchase and sale price and the transaction costs as hopefully you will make a capital gain on something in the future and you can put the loss on this one against a future capital gains tax bill.

I never will buy a share again
just reallly want to know can u claim the loss on this batch of them
thanks

there is a big difference between the purchase and selling price

I never will buy a share again
just reallly want to know can u claim the loss on this batch of them
thanks

there is a big difference between the purchase and selling price

What do you mean by 'claim a loss'? You can only offset a loss you make against a gain you make elsewhere in order to save on a potential CGT liability.
To realise the loss you need to sell the shares and then that loss is available against any gain you make this year or in any future year.

Back