Selling Rentals - Tax treatment of expenses incurred while property is vacant

The Messer

Hi all.
I've been unable to find how to treat expenses incurred on rental properties I am selling while the property is empty during the sales process. eg, insurance, mortgage interest, block management fees, gas and electricity. It comes to 600 to 900 per month depending on the property. They are not really expenses incurred renting, and dont fit into my CGT calculation I believe.
I was going to overlook it but there is a title issue on one of the properties and it could take up to a year to resolve anacdotally, and the expenses will be significant if the property is unoccupied for up to 18 months.
How have others selling up dealt with these costs?

Thought as much - such a farce of a situation. Its a huge lump when all added up.
6 months to close the 1st sale. Looking at 3 to 4 months each on the rest, bar one that is looking like closer to 18 months. It wouldnt be so bad if you could rent them out for a couple of weeks while everything goes through the process.
And who the hell is going to seriously consider a property with a sitting tenant that to all intents an purposes cant be evicted.

Back