Selling property -nppr query

Advicepls

Hi all

We are currently selling a house we bought in 2013 after nppr had ended. Our solicitor has come back to say there is no certificate of exemption for nppr for the previous owners and we may be liable to pay 7k! I'm sorry what. Firstly how were we able to buy the house without this? Also where does the liability fall? The people who sold the house to us lived here for 20 yrs as their principal primary residence. Not a hope im paying 7k for nothing. Baffled as to how this is our issue now. All advice welcome!

Shouldn't you be asking your solicitor this? There is no liability on anyone once the property was continually used as the previous owner's PPR.

Liability, if any arises here falls with the current owners. Your solicitor should have sorted the Letter of Exemption wen purchasing the house. I believe Local Authorities can now only issue such letters as of the most recent sale date, so this should have been sorted when you purchased.

It probably won't be that hard to remedy. You will need to ask the ESB to provide a utility bill for the years it was in (nppr) for. I assume you know who sold you the house so you give that name. Then when the ESB sends out the forms you fill in another to the local authority and include the copied bills with it. They will then send a cert to you. Of course, all this assumes that the previous owner was using it as a PPR and is not liable for nppr. It's a common occurrence when selling now that you need to get this certificate so surprising that it was not insisted on by your solicitor prior to buying in 2013.

Back