Selling my car - what's a safe way to get paid?

N

NoLawnMower

I'm selling my car privately. I have been made an offer and am happy to accept it. What is a safe method to receive agreed money?

I don't know the purchaser so I'm reluctant to accept a personal cheque (as it may bounce?...which I would only fnd out after I've handed over the car!)

I could use a bak draft? Is there a way of verifying that they are authentic?

Could I ask the purchaser to credit the funds to my bank account and on receipt of these funds he/she can collect the car from me (I guess the purchaser would feel uncomfortable here!)

All suggestions welcome
Thanks!

Re: Selling may car - what's a safe way to get paid?

NoLawnMower said:
I could use a bak draft? Is there a way of verifying that they are authentic?

short answer is no... long answer is also no...

cash or direct bank logement is king...

This dilemma (I'm not being smart) was previously discussed here.

What i'd do .
1. Take cash (arrange to meet in bank for higher amounts)
2. Take cheque and wait till funds are in account before releasing car.

Ste

Just sold my car took cash for it best way I think to be honest, just make sure you change the ownership ASAP as I got a speeding fine in the door the other day, the only evidence the Garda will take is an offical reply from the dept of the envirnoment otherwise you will get the points.

Accept a draft only if you've called the issuing bank to confirm it's authenticity.

You could request a draft and lodge it immediately. You could ask the buyer to wait outside. You hand over the keys once the draft is lodged and the bank are happy.

damomac said:
You could request a draft and lodge it immediately. .
It takes three days to clear.
Never accept bank drafts - i got caught for the sum of 6000 euros over a fake bank draft - the bank weren't even able to tell that it was fake.

i sold for cash at the weekend.
you wouldn't believe how much handling there is involved in taking cash.

For piece of mind I went through each note with a forgery checking marker - took a long long time even though all the notes were €50 and €100 denominations.

went to the bank on Monday as I couldn't relax with that much cash hanging around.

Last car I sold privately I refused to release until I had gotten confirmation that the transaction had processed without error rather than just appearing as a notional value in my bank account.

Back