Selling my Business

WicklowGael

Hi,

I currently run a quite succesfful business operating in a marketplace in which a nnumber of other companies both from Ireland and UK exist.

The business has a projected turnover in 2016 of about €500,000 with a net profit of approx €150,000.

I am looking at selling the business to focus on other interests.

Should I try and directly contact my competitors in Ireland and UK with a view to buying the company?
How is the value of a company priced?
Will contacting my competitors, and letting them see my current contracts, put them in a position to take work from me should they decide not to buy my company?

I appreciate your feeback

Ask your accountant for advice. You need to get someone experienced in valuing companies so you get the right price. They can also approach potential buyers without disclosing who it is they are representing.

It'll cost you a few quid but should be money well spent.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

I had this very conversation with a relative who specializes in buying companies, and asking him how he values a company, his rule of thumb, was to value a company at 5 times its gross profit.
The previous company I worked for was sold for €1.2 million, and had a GP of €250k per year.
Only Beer Mat economics, but..

The business has a projected turnover in 2016 of about €500,000 with a net profit of approx €150,000.

Unlikely projected profits will be looked, average profits over the last 2 or 3 years is a more convincing basis.

Should I try and directly contact my competitors in Ireland and UK with a view to buying the company?

You will probably have to.
How is the value of a company priced?

On a multiple of earnings, with much adjustment.
Will contacting my competitors, and letting them see my current contracts, put them in a position to take work from me should they decide not to buy my company?

Yes probably, but it may be unavoidable. Trying to sell puts you in a weak position.

Ask your accountant for advice.

It very much depends on what type of business you are selling. If its a retail shop, an accountant will be able to tell you easily how many weeks turnover shops of your type are going for at the moment. But for a more one off business an accountant will not simply be able to deliver the answer.

Can you have a discussion with a supplier. I know of someone with a small business who recently had a big decision to make concerning his business. Initially he was very slow to talk to his suppliers about this but he opened up to a manager at his major supplier who was able to tell him about similar issues at other companies. In that case the supplier was a multi-national, it might be different if the supplier was a small company.

Anything for sale is only worth whatever a buyer will pay at the time you are selling. That can vary enormously, you only have to look at the property price register to see wide variations in the prices of similar houses. Any opinion on the sales price of a business can only be tentative at best. That reflects not just the good or bad judgement of the person giving the opinion but the fact that the underlying reality is not fixed, you might get a very different price on a different day.

Having said that, lets look at the business, first of all as it is, rather than what a buyer might make of it.

Do the profits of €150,000 include a salary for yourself, if a buyer had to put in a manager to do your work within the business would they have to pay them a big chunk of that €150,000. The profit of the company to a buyer might be a lot less than it is to you. A multiple of this revised profit gives some indication of what the business might be worth. Unfortunately a multiple of 2 or 3 might have to be considered a good price.

What would a buyer make of the business. To what extent does the business success depend on you personally. If you are selling a product without much of a service element then maybe not much, on the other hand if you are selling a service, the business may not be able to continue without you.

A competitor might take over the best customers and close down the rest of the business, this would probably make the price lower than otherwise.

Letting your competitors see your books is undesirable, but no-one will buy the business without a good look at the company.

I had this very conversation with a relative who specializes in buying companies, and asking him how he values a company, his rule of thumb, was to value a company at 5 times its gross profit.
The previous company I worked for was sold for €1.2 million, and had a GP of €250k per year.
Only Beer Mat economics, but..
There is a lot of various ways of valuation and its trying to get one that suits both buyer and seller thats the hard part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I saw your earlier post.

I am in the business of selling and valuing businesses throughout Ireland

I would offer the following advice

1) Usually its not a good idea to show your hand to your competitors. Keep the selling process confidential.
2) Have your business professionally valued in advance. You will need an experienced business valuer for this.At its simplest the value of your business is the net present value of its future cash flows. People will talk to you all day long about multiples of this and that but to be frank,multiples are merely amateur tools for estimating value and used in isolation will give you the wrong outcome in 90% of cases. Standard multiples do not take account of risks, opportunities or the prevailing market or many other things.
During the boom, many businesses were selling for 3X the multiple that is possible today. This is also sector dependant. Some sectors were decimated and others are holding strong.
3) You will need to develop a selling strategy which is unique to your own business. An experienced broker will be able to identify where the value lies in your business and a sales strategy is developed around that
4) If you are engaging a professional advisor. Make sure that they have recent experience and success in this field. There are many "advisors" and accountants who have had little or no experience or success in this field but still offer the service in an amateurish way.
5) 150,000 net profit is extremely strong in the Irish context. You should have lots of interested buyers at that level of profitability.

Best of luck with the sale.

Dr.Debt

Last edited:
Do the profits of €150,000 include a salary for yourself, if a buyer had to put in a manager to do your work within the business would they have to pay them a big chunk of that €150,000. The profit of the company to a buyer might be a lot less than it is to you. A multiple of this revised profit gives some indication of what the business might be worth. Unfortunately a multiple of 2 or 3 might have to be considered a good price.
The net profit is after my costs such as salary,pension, company car of approx 55K per annum, sotaking these costs out of the business, the profit would be approx 200K

It is in the service industry, but I have created a business that can operate without me. I have a good team capable of running the business.

The net profit is after my costs such as salary,pension, company car of approx 55K per annum, sotaking these costs out of the business, the profit would be approx 200K

It is in the service industry, but I have created a business that can operate without me. I have a good team capable of running the business.
Sounds like you have built a good business. Well done.
Can it really run without you? If so then why sell it at all, why not just take a back seat and keep making money?

Put yourself in one of your competitors shoes. .. If they approached you, wanting to sell their business, and you had no intention to buy it, what would you do? Could you hurt their business with the knowledge you gain?

With enough effort, I think most businesses with whom you compete could find out who you have contracts with, or at least get a pretty good idea...

I'd more more concerned with retaining your key employees. By the sounds of it, if they left to a competitor, it could hurt you more!

Back