Selling Car - What's the cleanest, most transparent way of selling a Car belonging to an estate (in my role as executor)

Colly1977

Hi Guys,

What's the cleanest, most transparent way of selling a Car belonging to an estate (in my role as executor). I dont really want to go down the donedeal route. I was thinking of reaching out to some local garages. Its a decent car and with 2nd hand prices as they are currently I am keen to move forward

Thanks in advance

If the car is good, less than 4/5 years old I would ask a reputable garage for a quote. I was getting a service lately, my car is a 191, the salesman came out for a chat and asked if I was interested in trading or selling the car. I was offered what I payed for it 2 years ago. Got me thinking so I searched around, and for all the less work involved I think the garage route is as good as any at the moment. No, I didn't sell, because what am I going to buy.

Selling a car is a pain. There are so many available on the market. As noproblem said, getting a garage to take it is the easiest way but they are ruthless, so don't expect any favours, especially if you aren't going to buy a car off them.

Otherwise, somewhere like carzone.ie is a good site for selling cars. But it could take a while to shift the car. And if the buyer has any cop on, they will look for a decent amount off the asking price, especially if they can see the ad has been up for a while. At that stage, you will want to get rid and will probably take the offer.

Thanks Guys, thinking the same re garage, its just the easiest/cleanest approach. Its a 181 so quite a bit of value in it

Car prices have increased somewhat for used vehicles. However, best prices will be by selling online. This presents its own problems due to covid, test drive etc. Garages will offer about 60% of the likely selling price online. In this dilemma myself but with an older car.

www.zucar.ie allow you to enter details to get a price they will pay for it.

I sold them a car in 2021 and found the offer competitive and the process straightforward. Maybe 90% of what I would have hoped for in a private sale which I think is good.

If you try please update here as it might be useful for other folks in a similar position.

As above car prices have increased due to brexit, covid and supply issues.

We were offered 6k more for our car than what we actually paid for it 2nd hand 2 years ago. It’s a 181

The flip side of that is any other car would also be more expensive.

You should make more from a private sale than selling/trading to a dealer or selling to a web based company.

It is more hassle selling privately dealing with messers, tyre kickers, scam artists etc

If it’s less hassle you want - sell/trade in to a dealer etc

If you want more money- sell privately

At a 181 price point, I don't think you'll have anything near as many tyre kickers etc as is being described above. If you're selling a car for <10k then yeah sure but I would just look up similarly specced cars on DD, pick the price of the lowest one, take €500 off and sell it to the first interested party. You'll still make more than from a garage and it's really not a lot of hassle.

Car prices have increased somewhat for used vehicles. However, best prices will be by selling online. This presents its own problems due to covid, test drive etc. Garages will offer about 60% of the likely selling price online. In this dilemma myself but with an older car.
60%............you are ridiculously low with that estimate. I'd say 80% at a minimum but more likely about 90% of the selling price.

60%............you are ridiculously low with that estimate. I'd say 80% at a minimum but more likely about 90% of the selling price.
Nah. Actual case from a couple of months ago. VW has a car purchasing wing, not sure if it's strictly VW or an industry wide operation. Offered €7,000 On a car which would easily sell on DD or Carzone for €11,500. Less hassle, to be sure!

On a related issue, is an executor free to sell a car immediately without waiting for probate?

dealer is looking at what profit he will make. He will not buy a 1000 euro car for 600 as it's not worth his while. And nobody will sell him a 100k car for 60k.

Your percent seems high as he wants to price in a few k for himself.

It hasn't been mentioned so far but is there anybody in the family who would be interested the car

You are correct but is there some reason why someone in the family can't purchase the car from the executor??
I would of though that if a family member did buy it they might get it slightly cheaper than buying on the open market which could put the executor in a tight spot if a member of the family or a person receiving a part of the sale of the car kicked up a fuss over the slightly cheaper car.

Back