Selling Car Privately

darraghdog

Hi,
I plan to sell my car this month, and am currently purchasing a new car. I hsall not have insurance on the one I am selling, although it will be taxed for November.
If somebody comes and wants to give it a test drive, how does that work with respect to insurance, or what is normally done in this case ?
Thanks,
Darragh.

I'd suggest the wisest thing would be to check with them first whether they have comprehensive insurance of their own? If so, then they should have basic 3rd party cover (from their own insurer) to drive your car with your consent. But point out the fact that you've no cover in place yourself; sometimes that makes a difference...

DrMoriarty said:
I'd suggest the wisest thing would be to check with them first whether they have comprehensive insurance of their own? If so, then they should have basic 3rd party cover (from their own insurer) to drive your car with your consent.

Under their own insurance policy, potential buyers probably have 3rd party cover from their own insurer to drive any other insured car. As far as I know, it is illegal to drive an uninsured car. The potential buyers could transfer their motor insurance briefly from their own car onto your car.

Back