Selling car privately

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessie175

We are thinking of buying a car in the UK, bringing it home and paying the VRT etc.

But I am concerned about how difficult it will be to sell our own car privately in the current climate. If we price it competively, fully service it etc., will it sell, or could we be stuck with it for a long time?

Thanks any opinions/advice appreciated.

I know of a number of people that are still trying to sell cars after bringing their new car in from the UK.

There is no definite answer as to whether your own car will sell-you haven't even posted make, model, fuel, age, mileage............even then, all you will get is opinions. There is a 'what is my car worth' thread on Boards that might be worth posting in to see what people say.

Why take the risk unless you can afford to-put your own car up for sale and if you sell it, go to the UK and buy.

Very liitle is selling at the moment.

You should also search this board and boards.ie for problems with scams, for example dodgy bank drafts.

On this topic I imported a car from NI, gave mine to wife, and I've now got her old one to sell - a Ford Fiesta 97 1.3ltr petrol 103k miles, good nick & clean, NCT Feb 2010, Taxed May 09, 5 door.

Looking for €900 (priced to clear I'd have thought !). Put up mini-posters on local shop windows. Got one call over abotu 2 weeks and she wanted to trade in (I was afraid to ask what she wanted to trade....). I havent pushed it too agressively yet but must get it put on the car sites for a month or so.

Moral: if the leftover car is low value then its low risk so defo import. If your leftover has a material value I'm guessing you'll be a long long time shifting it. Is there an environmental levy for dumping a car ??:D??, surely I'll get a few hundred at some stage.

Hi Betsy

Price might be a bit high. We sold the same car 2 years ago with a lot less mileage (60K), average condition/paintwork I suppose - €1200. Couldn't sell it for any more than that at the time.

Price is too high id say.
I bought a 97 maxda6 2L with half that milage, one owner, nct to end 10 and taxed till midyear for 600€ recenlty.

Sell your car at a very competitive price and it will sell that is at least 25% under the lowest value on carzone.

I recently sold my car privately - to the first viewer & no it wasn't immaculate. It was well priced. It was lower than anything similar on carzone or buyandsell. Just for your own interest all the calls I received were from people who had seen the ad on buyandsell.net which is free for 1 week.

Folks

Please stop describing in detail the cars you are selling as these are being interpreted as attempts to sell cars on Askaboutmoney.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back