Selling apartment with furniture

Rockahoola

I am presently selling my apartment, and as I have already moved in somewhere else which either has furniture (or I am buying newer furniture), I do not have need for any of the furniture in the apartment being sold.

So, my ideal would be to sell the apartment with all furniture included. It's good quality furniture so I'm not passing on any old rubbish i.e. I think the likely target market (FTBs or a investor looking to rent) would be happy to see it already fully furnished.

My question then is how best to get 'value' for this i.e. How should I deal with the contents as part of the sale? For example, should I instruct the selling agent to simply put it all up for sale i.e. the apartment + furniture come as one, and the price should reflect that? My concern with that is that potential buyers might sub-conciously not place much or any value on the contents, in that they will compare the price to similar apartments in the locality, and if my guide price includes an amount for furniture, could that turn them away?

Given that, should the guide price just relfect the unfurnished apartment, but advise that contents can be negotiated over (or say that contents are available at €x extra)? My concern with that is that I'm left with all the furniture which I don't want!!

Many thanks for any advice.

I recently sold my apartment completely furnished - my estate agent had advertised it as such but I didn't really increase the price to reflect the fact. To be honest, I didn't need the furniture and didn't want to have to bear the cost of transporting it to another location...
It went to a bidding war - all 3 parties were looking for a fully furnished apartment in my location and were willing to up their bids because of that.

I don't think that you should increase your asking price just because it's furnished - as you correctly point out, the fact that it's furnished could well be the crucial differentiator between yours and a similar apartment - that's the added value for you...

Back