Selling and Buying -Chain of Events

Newbie!

We are hoping to move house this year and are in the process of trying to get our paperwork into the mortgage provider. The thing is, in the area that we want to move to, houses in our price range, are rare so I'm afraid to put our house on the market until we have found somewhere as I'm afraid we will end up having to temporarily rent, in which case we will lose our tacker.
What is the normal chain of events when selling one home and buying another?

Yes, with our current mortgage provider KBC. It has been approved in principle but I have to submit our full paperwork this week.

I'm coming to the end of the "PTSB Tracker Mover" process myself.. Expecting to close on sale/purchase in the next 2 weeks.

We listed our house for sale as soon we got the Letter of Approval from the bank. We were lucky in that we got a lot of interest and were able to cherry pick a cash buyer who was willing to wait until we were sale agreed on the property we were buying. I wouldn't put your house on the market after you find a house you want to buy. The seller of the house you're buying may get frustrated and re-list if your sale takes longer than expected.

I don't know if its the same with KBC but PTSB mentioned in their paperwork that the sale and purchase must take place on the same day? This would have made the transactions a lot more complicated. My solicitor contacted the bank about this and they confirmed in writing that they don't actually need this to happen. Its just something to bear in mind.. For PTSB the sale needs to happen first - the purchase can take place subsequently.

If your house isnt at least sale agreed and the house you are interested in has lots of interested parties then you might not be an attractive purchaser. There was a lot of cash buyers out there or at least chainless buyers which are much more attractive than ones with chains. We were told by one agent he wouldn't even take a bid from us as our house was not contracts signed....yes contracts signed!! (that was a fab house which literally sale agreed within days of going on the market!) We had our house on the market first and again picked a purchaser who was willing to wait, luckily a house came up fairly quickly but they still had to wait a while as our vendor hadn't found a place.

We also were told we had to close on the same day and had to get permission from the bank not to do this as it wasnt possible, that was a nightmare to do and took about 2 months alone. The whole thing is a nightmare, sorry

Thanks for the replies. Have met with estate agents so once we get mortgage approval, the house will go on the market. I am absolutely dreading this. The complexities coupled with the fact that I'm nervous we'll get it wrong (again) absolutely terrifies me.

Back