Selling a rented house

D

dennigerz

It's hard enough to sell a house these days, but how hard is it to sell a house with paying lodgers living there?. Would it suit someone interested in buying rented property? and keeping it rented, Or would there just be way to much hassle involved in the whole thing?

it limits your market unless the house is only likely to be bought by an investor (if there are any now?). If there is any hope of selling to a family, I'd get rid of the tenants and make the place as suitable for families as possible.

tenants will just restrict access to the house for viewings and it might be hard to ensure it looks as good as possible.

Do you mean selling a property with 'sitting' tenants i.e. tenants in situ? I'm not sure if this is even possible as I believe the vendor must surrender vacant possession to the purchaser.

I sold a house recently and I had tennants in the house. A couple of times where we had cash buyers ready for a viewing the renters either forgot to leave the house or left it untidy. We would have sold the house a lot quicker if we got the tennants to move out and painted/tidied up a bit.

Don't do this unless you a prepared to really sell the house and put it on the market at a realistic price. There are still some buyers out there but you need to make it an attractive price. You need to be prepared to drop that attractive price further if you're not getting people in the door.

Last edited:
I am in the middle of the same thing at the minute i am waiting, iv'e rung a couple of estate agents up and they have told me to give the tenants there 2 month notice and then wait about 2 weeks before the tenants are out of house till i put the house up for sale as there is way to much hassle trying to sell houses with tenants in for obvious reasons.
Unless you sell the house to another landlord but expect to get a lot lower price for the house.

Back