Selling a RAS Property

lotus17

I own a rental property which is rented to a tenant/County Council under the RAS Scheme since 2011.

I would like to enquire about the process of ending the tenancy and in particular the notice period required etc. I am considering the option of selling the property at some stage over the next few years in order to trade up on my own primary residence and would like to be aware of my options and obligations.

The tenant has been excellent and it would be great if the Council purchased the house and housed her there. However, an auctioneer has told me the house would be more valuable with vacant possession. It is located in a nice area close to the centre of a midlands town. Has anyone advice on how best to maxamise the sale price acheived for the house? How does one go about trying to get the council to buy the house?

Many thanks for your help

My father was in a similar situation a few years ago and the Council (Wexford) were interested in purchasing the house but would only purchase it with the local authority tenant evicted so he didn't progress with it....

The tenant has been excellent and it would be great if the Council purchased the house and housed her there. However, an auctioneer has told me the house would be more valuable with vacant possession. It is located in a nice area close to the centre of a midlands town. Has anyone advice on how best to maxamise the sale price acheived for the house? How does one go about trying to get the council to buy the house?
The council won't buy the house with a RAS tenant in situ, they purchase houses for social housing, not for those they support via RAS in private accommodation. See Dublin City guidelines here.

You'd be looking at a small pool of investors who might be interested in a property with a sitting tenant.

Back