Selling a long term leased property

Martina O'Sullivan

I have a property which I have leased to a county council for 10 years. I am 2.5 years into the lease and find myself in a position where I may need to sell the property (not anticipated). I called the county council and they said they would ask for the peoperty sold with a sitting tenant, however I can't find mention of this requirement in the lease agreement. Could anyone advise if I need to sell the property with the lease/tenant in place i.e. if it's not stated within the lease itself, is it implied?

I have a property which I have leased to a county council for 10 years.

If the agreement was for 10 years then, IMO, that is what it says on the tin - an agreement for 10 years - a fixed term agreement. Therefore, if the agreement was for 10 years, you are tied to ten years and it would seem that any tenant has the right to have a stable home for that period.

Thus, if you wish/have to sell the property it would seem logical that it would have to be sold with a sitting tenant.

However, I am not familiar with these (RAS ?) agreements made with councils and the conditions therein as I have never seen or read one.

Back