Sell the sports car for a family car recommendations?

landlord

I am told the Fiat Coupe 20 Valve turbo 220 BHP is not suitable for family life, so my girlfriend and 3 month old daughter haver persuaded me to sell it and get something more pracitcal. Firstly can anyone recommend any other sites apart from carzone.ie for selling it?
Secondly? In terms of buying something more practical What can people recommend for 8,000 Euro max. Looking for reliability, fuel efficiency, large enough for an expected family of 3/4. Is it worth going over to the U.K. to pick something up at this price?
Thanks

try the free ads section on octane.ie

thats a nice car you got there and I'd bet you're gutted to be selling it

Don't do it what about a tow hitch and a trailer?

I assume you won't be going for a boring family car.

A 4 door decent boot Scooby might be in order

....Looking for ....fuel efficiency....

...A 4 door decent boot Scooby might be in order

I wouldn't have though at Scooby would be that efficient.

I'm in the same boat. Need a family car. One thing I'll say is that not all cars, even big ones have a lot of space in the rear. So check that out, and that you can turn off the airbags in the front.

Why not get something that is both Sporty and Practical. I was in the same boat and went for a Saab 9-3: very spacious and safe (satisfies family) and very quick (sporty! - starting model is 154bhp and fairly good fuel economy with the Ecopower engines). You'll be able to pick an old generation 9-3 (up to 2002) for well under 8000, and if you import one from UK you MAY be able to get a new generation one slighly over that. Also it might be worthwile considering a 9-5. Reliability not as good as Japanese ones but in the 2 years I had mine (it's a 2000) I never had any problems with it...

Another very good and often overlooked car is Mitsubishi Galant. Again you'll have good space and safety (one of the safest Jap cars in the market, and according to Swedish insurance firm folksam 30% or more safer than average - i.e. in the same league as Merc, BMW, Volvo, ...) and also very powerful engines. If you get a Jap imort GDI version you'll get really good fuel economy as well. Depreciation is ferocious on them, but if you're buying a second hand that's a benefit for you as you'll get alot of car for little money.

Sold the Fiat Coupe this morning for the asking price...I should have had it in at a higher price to be honest. Thanks for all the posts. I will consider some of the cars you have recommended......

Sold the Fiat Coupe this morning for the asking price...I should have had it in at a higher price to be honest. Thanks for all the posts. I will consider some of the cars you have recommended......

My condolescences to you. That was a beautiful car.

Hoping you can get something you like. Keep us updated.

I too fear for the day that might arrive with me. Recently married and appreciate that some day the 2 seater sports car might have to go !! It will break my heart.

My condolescences to you. That was a beautiful car.

Hoping you can get something you like. Keep us updated.

I too fear for the day that might arrive with me. Recently married and appreciate that some day the 2 seater sports car might have to go !! It will break my heart.

Get over yourselves lads! You would want to see the washboard stomach I had BB (before baby):p

SEAT Altea 2.0 Sport. The only way to go. Have two kids and they love it. Can be got in either 2.0 Tdi (140/170bhp) or 2.0T (200bhp).

An old-style Corolla will run for ever, but the 1.4 engine struggles going up hills, so if you can get one of the sportier models it would be better (if you plan on doing any touring). The fuel economy is okay too. The hatchback has a nice big boot too for all the baby clutter.

A Skoda Octavia diesel goes like stink, but there is less passenger room in the back than the Corolla, but it does have a bigger boot. The fuel economy is great. It does feel rather tank-like in some ways though and has some irritating features (the radio is rubbish, the boot lid is heavy, there's no rear window wiper - mine is 1998, so later models may have improved?).

Thanks for all the replies. I was reading in either the Times or the Indo the other day that the government intend to tax cars which are 1.6 Litre or above. So I think I am going to look for a 1.4 Litre car just in case.....anyone know if there is any truth to this??

You should get an 01/02 Civic 5 dr hatch (1.4) for about €8000.

Very reliable, economical and with a tardis like interior.

Back