Sell or Rent 2 bed apartment where estate has become run down?

Dublin 5

Hi - I currently have a 2 bed apt in Dublin - I have had it for 14 years I was one of the first people to move into the estate - during Covid I moved out of Dublin still paid mortgage but didn’t rent it out. I am not returning to Dublin - the apartment itself is actually a good size and internally quite nice just outside the city on the north side. However the estate has gotten unbelievably run down and rough looking with some dodgy characters as neighbours -I now don’t know what to do to sell it and I would probably just break even on my mortgage or rent it out for a few years and make a small profit and hopefully sell it later for a profit ?

All I know at present is I don’t want to live in
In and I want to make the right decision

Any help or advise greatly appreciated?

Tks

There is no right or wrong decision. Make a choice based on your knowledge of the situation and your preferences.

To get some useful feedback you will need to provide some details.

What would you get if you sold it?
What is the outstanding mortgage?
What rent would you get for it?

If you rented it would you look after it yourself ?

Just about to complete the sale of our rental apartment in Dublin. We had great tenants (plenty don’t) and made good money on it, but I am so relieved not to have to deal with the types of issues that crop up, the emerging fire safety issues in so many complexes, rotating Directorships, other owners not paying management fees, etc etc.

The only way I would get back into being a landlord, or recommend somebody to it, would be to have 5+ properties and make a full time job of it. It’s just not worth the hassle, much easier hands-off returns in the stockmarket with similar levels of risk.

Sell it ASAP.

How much do you fancy being a landlord for a property in an unbelievably run down and rough looking area with some dodgy characters as neighbours. Sounds like you answered your own question.

Back