Self Employment and Jobseekers

stitch123

I'm currently on jobseekers but I want to turn my hobby into a business. I'm not sure that I want to wait until I'm eligible for the BTWEA (not even sure if I will be eligible) so wondering if I can become self employed while still receiving jobseekers or what the process is?
Do I have to come off jobseekers to register as self employed? Is there another allowance I can apply for instead? IIRC you can be both employed and self employed so can I still look for part time work on jobseekers while being self employed?
Any advice on this would be much appreciated

The Social Welfare office would give you the full ins and outs. If you do want to go down the self-employed route at some stage I'd suggest getting a business plan together - it'll help you get your ducks in a row with regards to business feasibilty etc., but also BTWEA will require one if you decide to wait for eligibility

You cannot receive the dole and work simultaneously.

You can only receive the JSA/JBA if you are “available for employment”. So, if for example, you are a full-time stay at home parent or a volunteer in a charity shop, you cannot legally receive unemployment benefit.

Back