Self-Employed - working with spouse

NickleIckle

Ok, so lets see if I can explain myself clearly..

I have been unemployed for 5 months now, and will get some Jobseekers Benefit until the end of October. My husband is self-employed, sole-trader, no employees. I spoke to the Social Welfare Office, and said that I would be working with my husband 2 or 3 days a week, and they are going to deduct those days from my JB payments. Fair enough.

However, more a more complicated issue has come up regarding his Public Liability Insurance which is coming up for renewal. Obviously, I have to be included in this insurance policy the days that I work - if I become registered as an employee of the company, the insurance premium goes up considerably - it wouldn't be worthwhile for the amount of work that I am doing (we are not necessarily doing more work - just doing the same amount of work in a shorter time).

So - my question is (eventually I got round to it!):
What are the implications if I become a Partner in the business instead (I think the insurance would only increase slightly in this case) - How does this effect our business? Tax returns? etc etc
And if I become a Partner in the business - does this affect my Jobseeker's Benefit?

Would appreciate any input!

Thanks,
NickleIckle

Back