Self employed prsi and glasses

wheeler dealer

I am self employed with the last 16 years can I claim some benefit now towards eye test and glasses .I know you could not before but has this changed recently .My glasses are nearly 5 years old at this stage

Assuming you have been paying PRSI contributions, class S, then the answer is yes.

How to qualify​

To qualify, you must have paid class A, E, P, H or S social insurance (PRSI) contributions.
The amount of social insurance you need depends on your age. There are four age ranges listed below. Find your age range and read the relevant information.
Under 21 years
If you are under 21, you may qualify if you have paid at least 39 contributions at any time.

Aged 21-24
Between these ages you may qualify if you have paid at least 39 contributions and have:
  • at least 39 paid or credited contributions in the governing contribution year (Example: 2019 is the governing contribution year for claims made in 2021)
OR
  • 26 paid contributions in each of the second and third last contribution years (Example: For claims made in 2021, the second last contribution year is 2019 and the third last contribution year is 2018)

Aged 25-65
From the age of 25 onwards, you must have at least 260 paid contributions
AND in addition have:
at least 39 paid or credited contributions in the governing contribution year (2019 is the governing contribution year for claims made in 2021)
OR
26 paid contributions in each of the second and third last contribution years

For claims made in 2021, the second last contribution year is 2019 and the third last contribution year is 2018

Generally, the PRSI benefits are allowed every 2 years for an eye test and glasses.
Your local optician would be able to check online for you.
They just need your PPS number and date of birth.

Back