Self-employed for next 5/6 months - pension options & implications?

fmmc

Hi,
I'm currently between permanent positions and am now self-employed. I have several years worth of pension contributions in various company schemes and hope in the next 5/6 months to rejoin another pension company scheme (on the assumption I'll find another permanent position). In the meantime though, I'd welcome any advice firstly on whether its worth my while starting a personal pension plan and if yes, what are my best options in terms of choosing one particular plan over another. Thanks in advance, fmmc

Hi there - if you are very confident of finding your way back into pensionable employment within 5/6 months then it is very unlikely that you need to go to trouble of setting up a PRSA/Personal pension just to cover this short "break" period...you can always just contribute extra (such as additional voluntary contributions) when you go back into pensionable employment to make up for the "break" of a few months.

Wait until your accounts for this period are done and see if you have a tax liability. You can pay the pension premium before the end of October 2007.

Back