Self Build - The costs?

I have read ur comments go for ur big build"Do it once and do it right is my motto" In a few short years it will cost u as much to add on a garage as it did to build ur house. At a time like this a phone in brilliant , get several quotes and afew white lies saves u loads. Do not pay cash on receipt. Whe they look for the money look for a discount again.

It cost us 10K to knock and dispose of 2 outhouses they were roughly 1000sq feet footprint each (one was a storeyand a half).

I am coming to the end of a 4 year self build project. 2200 sq foot 2 storey. Approx costs so far: Groundworks=5K, Blocks=4k, Concrete 1st floor 2.5k, Builders labour=7k, Roof timber=2.5k, Carpenter(roof)=5k, Slate cost=6k, Slate labour=5k, Windows+Doors=13k, 2xSolar panels=5k. No electrics or plumbing done yet. Oh and I paid 7k for a JCB(money well spent) I was very lucky that I didnt have to dig my foundations very deep, this means less labour costs, less cost in blocks and less cost in filling materials. A friend of mine had to dig so deep to get a sound foundation that he decided to install a basement. This should be taken into consideration when looking at sites, you could very easily spend 50k before you even start to pour your floors.

Hi all,

I am currently self building my own house, nearly at the final stage!!
Early in the build I was informed by me stonemason that my bloklayers did not put a dpc in the house. There is a radon barrier in place but no dpc above ground level (150mm above ground level). I asked my engineer about this and he said it would be okay as the radon barrier acts a dpc, and just to make sure to put my path level below radon level. He also said that putting a dpc in place is just like wearing two c*ndoms! You are being extra safe!! Has anyone got any thoughts on this? I am worried about rising damp in the future.....

Thanks,

DPC should have been put in. My house has a radon barrier and above that DPC course. I can see how it might be considered 2 protections - that can onlt be good, one of the worst things that could happen to your new build would be damp surely. Radon barrier is for radon gas protection, DPC is for damp proofing, simple as that, one does not replace the other. No building regs would suggest it could be acceptable I doubt!!

A lot of radon barriers will act as a dpc. most of them are actually far superior than dpc (thicker and more robust materials) Check with your supplier to see if the material do both.
Or check some manufacturer website

Hi All,

On the back of the lack of a self-build forum out there, I've finally got round to setting one up (it's literally just up)..

You can visit the forum at:
www.selfbuildinireland.com/forum

If anyone has any suggestions or would like to act as a moderator, please let me know..

Sorry about being OT by the way but I think it's something that should be of interest to posters on here..

About the radon question, make sure that the plastic sheeting used was actually radon barrier rated. It sounds like your builder might be a bit tight so he may just have used heavy plastic to save money. DPC is much stronger than Radon barrier and less likely to tear if a there is a stone in the morter or if someone stands on it. Heavy plastic sheeting on the other hand is only for short term use as it becomes brittle and cracks eventually.

Hi Im planning a self build in the Cork suburbs area. I have quoted all sorts of prices per square foot - I have been recommended to ask the advice of a quantity surveyor. Can anyone recommend one in the Cork area or would advise using one?

froggie, how many windows, french doors etc do you have in your house. are u building a garage ? or is this a later project.

also froggie, just added up your figures - 55k that's great. if we can achieve this for our house commencing in april, then i will be a happy woman. what about your insulation costs ? so £40k sterling would get the house watertight for next winter. planning to do groundwork, foundations, walls, roof, windows and doors this year and then in april 2008 attack the plumbing and electrics. hope to finish in time for summer of 2009 so our kids go to secondary school in ireland ! rather than in this mental asylum called London.
what county have you built in ? - we are building in longford, just in case you can recommend some keen workers who are happy to work on mondays !!!!!

Lorna u havnt even mentioned plastering??But i have to say 55k is doin very well but no mention of how much he spent on insulation or window cills or sewer ans water pipes etc..Also what about sand and stuff is that included in the 4k for blocks??Jus interesting to see if all this is done but isnt included in the price??

We are getting the raft done at the minute, the quotes we are getting so far have been nearly the same. Its a 2100sq ft house. Carpentry (1st and 2nd fix) 16k, Plumbing 3800, Blockwork 9k, Groundwork 15k and raft 4.5k(i think). We are hoping to do the lot for 170k!! Any idea what an electrician would cost? Trying to get quotes for kitchen, stairs and windows at the moment!!

an electician will cost about 4-5k depending on the amount u want done really,also ur plumber is a very good price,where in the country are u?

Hey Aisling
We are based in Clare so under 4k for the plumbing was the norm for all quotes we got

Hi Iam building a timber frame house 2500sq feet i am hopping the cost we be about 180k. so far i have spent
20k raft
49k timber kit with stairs internal partion, floor,s plasterboard and roof trusses.
6k 14 windows black on white pvc plus front back doors.
3k fees
2k water
6k felt and slates

I have had a quote for felting ,battening and slating roof ect of 6500 euro
for fitting about 4200 slates. Is this a good quote?
Thanks bob

Hi guys,

just reading through all the messages... seems to be a lot of variance in the quotes ..

bob: How are you getting on with the build? cost etc.? I hope to build a 2000 sq/ft dormer bungalow in the west wicklow area soon.

Thanks

Ray

I am currently starting a build in Wicklow ( 260m2 bungalow ). Rising wall are nearly finished, so I am trying to fiquire the cost of a radon barrier and insulation for floor.

For supply and installation of Radon Barrier I was given a quote of roughly €4.50/m2 + VAT in Cork area. This price assumes all internal rising walls are built to the same level.

Back