Self Build - Starts today

Best of luck we are in the middle of it, stress but sooo exciting too!
Concrete slab first floor

Watch your stuff on-site, we've had probs with material & tools going missing - even lengths of timber, seen cars of dodgy looking guys prowling around the site in the evening when we've called down late as have our tradesmen. Only order when you know it's going to be used that day and bring home tools etc

Enjoy and shop around, don't be afraid to shop on-line, there are good savings to be had. Golden pages are also a great source of info if you can't get a recommended tradesman.

Use a registered, insured scaffolder - shop around we got quoted 14K (supply and erection) and ended up getting it erected for 1750 and rented it for 1200 for 10 weeks.

Get self-build insurance before you're foundations are poured. (will cost approx 2K)

Once again use the search option on AAM.

Best of luck.

Does any one know can you get insurance on a self build if the project is already started. At roof level at minute, roofer is relation and has insurance but just seeing them walking around up there makes me wonder should I also get cover. Block layer had own insurance. I borrowed digger myself and dug site and foundations, poured foundations and floor myself and erected scaffolding which I borrowed from work.
It was only when the blocklayer started I looked into getting insurance and most companies said no as I'd already started. One company gave me quote of €2.5k.
Any one that has input I'd greatly appreciate it.:D

can anyone recommend someone in the Galway area for doing a foundation, block laying or roofing please ?:) thanks for all the tips on this page very handy :)

They should call it Self-Build or Real or True Self-Build. ;)

It is all semantics at the end of the day

Good luck with the build lad.

Does any one know can you get insurance on a self build if the project is already started. At roof level at minute, roofer is relation and has insurance but just seeing them walking around up there makes me wonder should I also get cover. Block layer had own insurance. I borrowed digger myself and dug site and foundations, poured foundations and floor myself and erected scaffolding which I borrowed from work.
It was only when the blocklayer started I looked into getting insurance and most companies said no as I'd already started. One company gave me quote of €2.5k.
Any one that has input I'd greatly appreciate it.:D

That sounds ridiculous for insurance! I got a self build policy last month from Frost Insurances. It cost under E1400. Now that was taken out prior to build, but the guy I spoke to (Ray Dunne) didn't seem as obsessed with that as other insurance companies. Might be worth a ring. 01 832 8921, [email protected]

Back