Self Build - New Garage Size

Birroc

My engineer put down for planning for a garage and I didn't really take notice of the size at the time but now I think it is a excessively large.
Its 6.7m X 8m.
Is this the standard size for a garage these days ?

for a large rural house... yes, it would be an average size.

consider it may be used for fuel storage, general storage (bikes etc), workshops etc...... and god forbid, maybe even a car........... and with those dimensions there may be a usable loft as well.......

but remember, you dont have to build to those exact measurements.....
the cert of compliance you will receive will state 'opinion on substantial compliance'... and also 'in so far as site works are complete'... this gives you almost carte blanche on the garage...

I think it's common practise to enter plans that are on the large size regardless, as it is easier to scale down after planning has been approved than go the other direction.

I think it's common practise to enter plans that are on the large size regardless, as it is easier to scale down after planning has been approved than go the other direction.

Thanks. I measured it out and I think I could fit one of the new Airbus planes into it. I will probably scale it down a bit.

Back