self build - buying natural slates

BLOB

Hi,
We are self building at them moment and are looking at natural slate.
I have seen ''slates direct'' on the website and their pricing looks good for brazilian slate. Has anyone used them?
or has anyone any alternative suggestions?
thanks.

don't use brazilian slate even if they are for nothing.they crack and break in no time at all

I recently looked into and purchased natural slates for a new build and came across the same information/feedback as poster above - dont touch Brazilian slate. I went with a Spanish slate in the end.

BLOB,

I recently completed the roof of my self build Dormer with Cupa Heavy 3 Natural Slates from Brooks ( I have no connection to Brooks). They are a spanish slate and cost 1:38 +VAt per slate. I'm very happy with them and they look great. They do need to be sorted as there is a big variance but any good roofer should have no problem with them. There are also impurities (pyrite) as with other natural slates. For this price though it is to be expected unless you are willing to pay 3 times the price for Blue Bangors, etc...

We also used the Cupa H3 and are delighted with them. The roof looks great, especially after rain.

cupa heavy 3 from brooks are the business and the technical back up is excellent.We used them on a very exposed site ,lighthouse type location and so far so good

thanks alot for this. I was getting quoted 2.50 plus 21%vat for capco slates and a few others so I will certainly go to Brooks (do you mean Brooks Haughton??)
thanks everyone.

We went with CUPA H3 too and dealt directly with the local rep before placing the order with local Brooks. Got a slightly better quote than above and great service

Hi lfcjfc,

How do you find out the name of your local rep. Tried a search for Cupa.ie,
but to no avail. Thanks, apple1

The Brooks (slate) Rep. I dealt with was Wayne Lattimore (086-3833914). He will meet you and give you samples & a price.

Apple1,

I went into Brooks and asked them could we meet the rep for the area to come out and advise us on a few things - they put us in contact no problem. I'd say the reps spend most of their time dealing with big clients rather one-off selfbuilders but our local guy was excellent.

Hi,

was going to go with slates direct but roofer said that the slates break easily & asked that we look at some other options. Going with Capco now.......yes expensive but lovely slates & good quality so will be less wastage

Incidently, the architect has requested that the slates be clipped rather than nailed on - aparantly this makes it easier to replace broken slates etc.

Back