Self Build all advice appreciated

Jolly Man

Hi all,

I am getting ready to start a self build project, i was hoping that i could get any advice possible from all of peoples past experiences with this sort of thing i.e things you would have done if you got a second chance, what sort of further components would you have included. Is there any suppliers that would come recommended or have any of you gone down the route of buying furnishings and fittings in France?
Also i would like to hear from anyone who has had wood pellet boilers/geothermal heating installed.

All comments are appreciated.

Hi Jolly Man,

Very open question there, have you searched through the previous posts here? There's plenty of advice that should prove useful.
Leo

Ya i have been through them all all very good info could stay reading for hours kinda addictive actually i must say. Was just hoping to get any further comments really/advice for a first timer tackling this sort of project

More pointed questions usually get a better response here, so perhaps you could narrow it down to one or two key questions you have at this stage? Once you get answers to those you could start introducing more.
Leo

My main advice would be is start sourcing every single item you will need immeidately, even things you know you won't need to purcashe for a good few months.
This way you have time to source good bargains and also make decisons ahead of time and not have a plumber or an electrician waiting while you decide where you wnat to put things or what type of product you are going to use.
Shop around and bargain.
It is worth while opening an account with a local hard ware shop as it is very handy for small bits and bobs but source large items well in advance as we discovered that items like window boards for example can vary by a lot in price from place to place, just one example but you get the idea.
Get reccomomendations for tradesmen you intend using and go see their work to satisfy yourself as to the quality.
Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, don't allow price alone to determine the tradesmen you use.
Look at various sources for items not just the most obvious, for example a joiner to make your front door etc.
Interiors mags are a good source of inspiration.......
Don't compromise on the big items like windows and doors etc whihc are permanent fixtures.
Kee a record of everything.
Be prepared for the stresses self building can bring.
Don't have an unreaslitic time table but try to stick to deadline where possible or it can just drag on and on.

Am nearing the end of a self build.
Get at least 2 prices mimimum for each job, Make sure to see a tradesmans work first, expensive doesn't always mean better. If you like one guys work then they are worth the wait.
As for sourcing as much as you can asap I would disagree, unless you are very sure on what you want you will end up with items you have changed you mind on and now dont suit new plans.
Be prepared to work LONG hours yourself and you will save a fortune, example you put up scaffolding for the block layer/carpenter etc. when they arrive on site and they can start straight away they will appreciate it any everyones happy.
May sound abvious but make sure the plan is what you want, measure peoples rooms/houses and compare your sizes to it to get an overall picture of what to expect the end result to be.
Wood Pellet boilers depending on size can cary. the one I looked at was 8200 to buy and the grant was 4000.
Apply for your ESB asap. You have to first apply for a quote and the when paid its another 3 months (I think) until you can request connection which is another 2 weeks minimum!!!
Careful on what engineer you use, some are more stringent than others.
And most of all BARGAIN ON THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING AND OFFER CASH!

Factor in County council fees. If not connected to main sewage, look at treatment systems, there are more than Bord na Mona out there but you need to decided before you submit planning as cant change after. Request the infor you need for both water and ESB connection - both can take months to get sorted. Set up an account in local hardware store - i found this invalauable as most of my workmen used same store and were v comfortable getting what they needed and just putting it on account ( you should get monthly statment to allow you to keep track) also made for easy deliveries, who is a good digger man and stone/filling provider.? Start makiing up your mind on windows/doors/type of insulation/heating etc.... when are the sales on? eg bought my doors in Feb - 4 months before i needed them but got v good deal. If buying stuff from outside locality - get a good courier co - if bringing anything from Dublin to Wexford I can recommend DHJ Express 087-6645827 ( Brendan) reasonable and careful- you dont want your tiles to arrive smashed! Spend on stuff you love if its going to last eg doors.....
Pay on time and ask workmen how and when they like to be paid - some i paid at end, some as they went along......to satisfaction of all.
Prepare yourself for fustration and learn to "get over" things - if its small in the scheme of things its probably not worth stopping woork for a week to change a cosmentic feature....... be v clear on what you ask people to do - draw and show pictures if possible.
took me 18 months of sweat, blood and tears but worth it !!

be as detailed in the spec as you can, therefore no misunderstandings and the quote you get is more realistic.

Overestimate on electrical because extras seem to be relatively more expensive than a big spec on day 1.

Give yourself the odd weekend off, it can be a bit of a 24/7 preoccupation and you dont want to end up burned out. Pace out stuff that can wait, dont kill yourself painting the whole house if you dont need to, just lash on the white undercoat around where the skirting boards & architraving (door frame) will be, loadza time to do the rest after you move in. Cover stuff like window baords with plastic and/or tape, a lot easier to prevent mess than clean it off later.

Watch what is going on daily, tradesmen tend to go the easier route for them, as opposed to what you want. So be vigilant because if you dont catch it early on it might be "too late" - i.e. too much hassle for everyone and maybe more cost for you.

Be straight with tradesmen, if you get decent ones then keep them happy - dont keep them waiting for cash. It is possible to end up with a good relationship with them which can have benefits for you as well.

"As for sourcing as much as you can asap I would disagree, unless you are very sure on what you want you will end up with items you have changed you mind on and now dont suit new plans."

Note I said source, not purchase items.

Back