Self assessed if you own shares?

Herbie

Hi,

Is it necessary for a PAYE employee who owns some shares to register as self-assessed and return a Form 11 every year? The reason that I ask is that there appears to be a facility for returning dividend info on the PAYE on line system (as opposed to ROS). Form 11 seems like overkill for what is likely to be a very simple return.

Thanks in advance,

Herbie

You need to file a form 11 only if your income from the shares is over E3174 in that tax year

When you say income do you mean dividend income or dividend + capital gains?

Many thanks for the info.

My problem is that Revenue have me down as self assessed (I got an accountant to clear up my returns a couple of years ago and this seems to be the result).

Problem is that Revenue are now looking for another return - form 12 naturally. How can I prove that I don't have to return a Form 12 without returning one (if you know what I mean!)

If you are now a PAYE worker have you not de-registered from your self assessed status.

As an PAYE employee you should be making your returns on a form 12.

Does question 18 on the form 12 not account for the dividends from the shares

I tried to de-register but they told me that as long as I owned shares I had to stay registered and submit a Form 11. I'll try again tomorrow with the information that you've given me.

I was always a PAYE worker so I'm not entirely sure how I ended up like this - I reckon that the accountant that I went to used the same solution for all his clients and did my return the same as his self-employed clients...

Back