Self administered ARF

handtight

I'm in process of starting an ARF and not too impressed with 1.25% annual charge quoted by Irish Life on 750k fund. And there are heavy surrender penalties.

So I'm considering self directed as an option. Browsing the forum there's a thread listing approved providers here
https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/self-administered-arf.155333/

But while helpful it goes back to 2011. I'm wondering if there's anywhere I can access a more up to date listing?

Also would greatly appreciate any pointers on what constitutes value for money in terms of fees if I go independent? Always noting the cheapest is always the best......

There are lots of options available out there with a charge lower than that and no surrender penalties, whether it is self administered or going with an insurance company.

Irish Life's charging structures are still in the dark ages and less flexible than the offerings of other companies.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Reactions: mtk
Isn’t there a Friends First option of 0.45%?

I could be imagining it, but I think I read about it on these pages.

A wealth manager is unlikely to do a whole lot better than that Irish Life pricing when VAT is taken into account. You might get 0.8%.

It's 0.4% Gordon on their index based funds. You can get that price on a self directed ARF as well.

Friends First only impose early exit penalties if you transfer to another provider. They don't have limits on actually cashing in the ARF. A lot more palatable for clients who would like to be able to take out a large lump sum if they want to.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks Guys for the replies which are very helpful in my position.

Steven, just to clarify, I can place my fund with Friends First on a self directed basis with a total charge of 0.4% and no surrender penalties?

The Friends First ARF isn't a self directed ARF. Their index funds and a deposit fund are at 0.4%. Other funds are at a higher charge.

There are self directed pensions with an amc of 0.4% with no exit penalties.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Thanks for clarifying Steve. Not surprisingly, moral of the story is it pays to shop around......

Stockbrokers are subject to VAT on their management fees as I understand it.

Which doesn’t seem fair for what’s the same service.

Stockbrokers are subject to VAT on their management fees as I understand it.

Which doesn’t seem fair for what’s the same service.

Yep. Got a quote on fees from a stockbroker this morning and it was 0.5% of funds under management plus VAT. Lots of self admin providers charge VAT too.

I remember back to my EY days, no one ever tried to advise on VAT, it was always sent to the dept of 2/3 experts. Too easy to make a costly mistake with VAT

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back