Seeking information on car insurance as named driver with US drivers licence

warrendublin

Hi my son (btween 28 and 35) is returning home for 2 weeks to Ireland from US and i'm trying to put him on my car insurance as a named driver. he's been away for 3 years.

His irish licence expired almost 3 years ago (covid and visa circumstances blocked him from coming home to renew -he'd also no PSC to do the renewal online!) and he will have a US drivers licence when he comes home.

He was previously insured in Ireland for 7 years in his own name with his own car etc and no issues, accidents, convs, points etc)

However, I enquired about getting him on for 2 weeks and the broker advised that because of his profession (musician) he would ordinarily be flat out refused but that they were going to consider the risk and let me know tomorrow.

has anyone any views on why musicians are viewed as insurance risks or if they refuse to insure, what other options might be available?

thanks in advance

he's been away for 3 years.

He was previously insured in Ireland for 7 years in his own name with his own car etc and no issues, accidents, convs, points etc)
I think that because 2+ years have elapsed then most or all insurers will not take into account his 7 years of cover?
has anyone any views on why musicians are viewed as insurance risks
Depends on an underwriter's specific actuarial criteria but many load certain professions due to their assessment of the risk involved. Many musicians might be carrying music gear, be driving at unsociable hours, maybe considered a risk for drink/drug driving etc. By its very nature insurance is discriminatory.

If it proves difficult or very expensive to get insurance then perhaps car rental or even pay as you go operations might be an alternative?

I had trouble getting a 25 year old onto my insurance and ended up getting open drive on the policy instead for €90 for the remainder of the policy. Maybe ask you insurer/broker about this?

many thanks to you both - i appreciate the suggestions and will ask the broker.

BH I've no idea how open drive works and would it work for this scenario i outlined?

Will a US licence be accepted, for open drive - I'd have thought not, tbh?
My sister (full blown yank now) was able to drive my mum's car on her us licence. Not sure if she was added as a named driver. But it is decades since she had an Irish license.

On musicians - they probably assume late night gigs, tiredness and night driving - all with higher risks.

Will a US licence be accepted, for open drive - I'd have thought not, tbh?
Why would it be an issue? There are huge numbers of Irish families with siblings, sons and daughters living permanently abroad. If there was a big issue with these people getting temporary insurance here, I think we'd be aware of it.

Last edited:
In the unlikely event of insurers agreeing to grant cover be sure to get confirmation in writing before he gets behind the wheel !

Would it be possible for him to renew his licence while he is here for future convenience ?

One of my friends sons was home from New York at Christmas and was able to be a named driver on his mother's policy and has never held a Irish license, think it was with Aviva

Back