Security software for broadband.

Ash

Now that our broadband is up and running, what security software (preferably free) should be sufficient to stay clear of Net related viruses and other problems?
Already installed is a firewall, Spybot and AdAware6.
Thanks.

I presume you're already running some sort of anti-virus program? :eek:

I've had BB for 7 months now and not once have i ran an anti-virus program:). (maybe now is time to end the blissful ignorance & not take it for granted:))
But i think it's the websites you visit which plays a big part on whether or not you get "attacked".

But then again i'm using a Server OS so i know they can't afford to have bugs etc.. in them or ppl won't like buying them for such high prices.

The only time my computer played up is when i got broadband first, i was (foolishly:rolleyes: ) using IE and my computer slowed down and then the "blue screen of death" showed up, since then i've used opera and no probs since. Maybe my os has build in firewalls? Or is it the fact i have most of my ports closed in my modem settings?

EDIT: Actually that may be of interest to you Ash, close your unused ports in your modem setup, that will chop down the probability of a virus attack:)

Some more useful links from Gizmo Richards:

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Lots more here:

[broken link removed]

I downloaded AVG and installed it. It says it's for scanning the computer, i was looking for one to run when im online which blocks 3rd parties, stops auto file executions etc... Is this not for that?

....But then again i'm using a Server OS ...

Having a server OS makes no difference to security. So whats the relevance of that?

I downloaded AVG and installed it. It says it's for scanning the computer, i was looking for one to run when im online which blocks 3rd parties, stops auto file executions etc... Is this not for that?

You should take some time to learn the basics of security and how these things work.

[broken link removed])
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-virus_software

Having a server OS makes no difference to security. So whats the relevance of that?
I presumed the built-in firewalls in a Server OS would be even slightly more reliable than the usual WinXP? Being that a virus on this type of os could mean a company going down. Thats why they are much more expensive. And ive had more errors, crashes on xp and practically none on this os.

Which AVG - Anti Virus or Anti Spyware?

It's the first one on that page: "AVG Internet Security 7.5" [broken link removed]

I've never used the AVG firewall is it any good. I used to use ZoneAlarm despite its quirks. I'm generally behind a hardware firewall though so i don't really need it unless I'm using a laptop away from home.

True but quite often people download the free trials of the payware by accident. The sites are often designed (in my opinion) to nudge you toward the payware downloads unless you are vigilant. You can never be sure what people have installed.
You're right - looks like Sn@kebite has downloaded an eval version of the commercial AVG security suite and not the free versions of the virus and malware tools.

Based on Gizmo Richards' [broken link removed] I run Comodo rather than ZoneAlarm these days on my personal system but according to his tests no free firewall is as good as a commercial one. The free version of Kerio also looks like an interesting option.

You're right - looks like Sn@kebite has downloaded an eval version of the commercial AVG security suite and not the free versions of the virus and malware tools.

Done it myself before!

Confusing list isn't it. [broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

I use ZoneAlarm for that. It's a decent and free firewall.

I am amazed at the lack of security in most broadband installations.

I recently acquired a mobile phone with wi fi capability and since then I am picking up open networks all over the place. (4 in my apartment block alone.)

I am able to surf the net .Use my email and download large packages at will. I am not an expert but if I can do this what could someone who knows something about this do to the computers of those connected in such a fashion.

It seems all the eircom networks ask for a wep key for access but most of the others don't by default.

Happy browsing.

Back