Section 39 to section 38 workers

desparate

I work in a section 39 agency ( private sector largely HSE funded). All of a sudden our CEO has decided to try get us changed to section 38 workers ( public sector), without consultation with staff. Staff have had no increments for 12 yrs and this is the reason we are being given for the campaign to change to section 38.
Can anyone on this page tell me what pitfalls we should watch out for....or is it beneficial to change? Staff are concerned that contracts, holidays, working hours, pensions etc... may change if we switch over.

Section 38 is by far the more beneficial option. You are deemed public sector so recieved everything in line with public sector employees, protected under public service agreements, trade union recognised, better access to pensions and sick pay schemes and you are part of the consolidated HSE pay scales. Section 38 is like the twin sister of public sector employees where as section 39 is like the poor cousin.

Thanks for replies...we have excellent holidays (30 days) and sick leave ( 6mths). Our working day is 7 hrs.( day service). We have good private pensions. There is a concern we may lose more than we gain. I’m 20yrs+ in my role.

Being a daily contributor to this forum I read constantly how soft the public service has it compared to the private sector; now I see people having reservations about entering the public service from the private sector.

Incidentally, the CEO cannot just decide on this. He can start the ball rolling, but unions will have to be consulted etc. The CEO can forget about his/her solo runs.

Being a daily contributor to this forum I read constantly how soft the public service has it compared to the private sector; now I see people having reservations about entering the public service from the private sector.

Incidentally, the CEO cannot just decide on this. He can start the ball rolling, but unions will have to be consulted etc. The CEO can forget about his/her solo runs.
As staff we love our jobs and wrk fir a good private organisation. The difficulties have arisen as like section 38 workers we took similar pay cuts during recession but restoration of our wages has not been the same as section 38. Staff are now leaving because of this and the inability to pay increments for 12yrs.

As staff we love our jobs and wrk fir a good private organisation. The difficulties have arisen as like section 38 workers we took similar pay cuts during recession but restoration of our wages has not been the same as section 38. Staff are now leaving because of this and the inability to pay increments for 12yrs.

1. Your wage cuts have not been restored since the recession.
2. Your yearly increments have not been paid.
3. Staff are leaving because of salary.
4. You love your jobs.

Do you want to remain in the Private Sector or do you wish to be placed within the Public Sector?

Apologies, I misread the original post. First of all your CEO cannot just decide for you. There has to be negotiations and staff involvement. Your union will be involved. If you're not a union member, perhaps now is a good time to join. Otherwise, the negotiations will go ahead and your views won't matter for much. You can't decide on anything until you see the terms and conditions available. These will be written. Only then will you able to make a decision.

How large is your organisation? It is unlikely that the HSE who you say your organisation are largely funded by would take over a large organisation at the moment. I would also suggest that you check you pension fund - if you cannot get increments I wonder is your pension fully funded. Sick pay schemes in the HSE have been cut back in recent years so you also need more information on what you would be gaining - section 39 are always dependent on state funding of some sort but if you were a state employee would your service be recognised. In the long run section 38 seems a better option as you don't know if the HSE funding will be ongoing in the future but staff need to know exactly they would be signing up to.

Back