Section 23 - is it still available

onekeano

I saw an apartment that might be of interest. I was asking price around 300k with almost 400k Section 23 relief.

I had thought that the Section 23 relief only lasts for 10 years from the date of the first letting so, the certificate outlining the relief is dated 2006.

Breakdown is outlined below but I need to establish that the relief is legit - any advice would be much appreciated.

Roy

upload_2017-6-12_16-54-19.png

The €400k would only qualify if you paid €485k. You would get around 80% of the purchase price.

In relation to your query on the 10 years, it's 10 years from the date of first use so if the building was never occupied then the clock has not started yet.

It's a farce that the minister stood up in the Dail 7 or 8 years ago saying he was abolishing these reliefs. Some small investors lost their reliefs if they did not have income to use them up and now these properties are.

Thanks Joe, so is it 80% of the purchase price that would be allowable ie. 300k * 80% = 240k.

And if so, in the event that I had say 20k rental income - would that mean basically 12 years income with no tax liability?

Roy

S23 relief is now specific to the property. It is only the rent from that property that is sheltered.

Back