Secondary school teaching:can't seem to get a job as a sub, even for a day.Any advice

Re: secondary school teaching

DrMoriarty said:
...and/or correct your spelling and punctuation mistakes? There's quite 'alot' of them! ;)
Gel, sorry about the confusion — this was addressed to Judybaby73, not you!

I agree with what's been said here about good/bad, lazy/hardworking, committed/cynical teachers. My own guesstimate is that the 40:40:20 rule applies — 20% of teachers are extremely committed and hardworking, and do an excellent job for precious little thanks. 40% of them are just average/reasonably competent, sans plus. 40% of them range from slightly below average/a bit on the lazy side through to downright incompetent/unfit/should be removed.

The problem is that they/we all draw basically the same paycheck...

Re: Secondary school teaching

gel said:
DrMoriarty

Look at Judybaby73’s post above and you will see that she has many more spelling mistakes than I. I can only assume that she is does not teach English.

Maybe I do teach English? Maybe I don't? Is it fundamental to be excellent at spelling to teach English? I guess it helps but English is much more then spelling ....its having the ability to be creative too which is a far more important attribute.

Anyway just to let you know I'm dyslexic....have you a problem with that because I certainly don't and I don't think it interfers with the way I teach. In fact Ibelieve it enables me to be more empathetic towards students who learn "differently".
It's funny but the way you criticised my spelling reminds me of experiemce in eduation. Regardless of the fact that i had an IQ of 147 at 12 years my inability to rote learn spellings was always a problem. The teachers shattered my confidence and spirit with their constant put downs and ridicule.
I'm glad you weren't my teacher at school. You have just shamed me on here and this is a bloody forum.!!! Imagine if I was in a classroom and told how bad I was at spelling....wouldn't do alot for my confidence would it? Anyway that's irrelevant now and not for discussion on here i guess.

Pathetic actually that people still view the 3 R's as being the most important thing in classrooms when we should be looking at holistic development of our students. Its people with this "traditional" view that are ruining students and placing unnecessary stress on them.

Education is defined as "the development of chararcter" which implies that all areas of a person's development be promoted i.e physical,cognitive,linguistic, social, emotional (most important), moral, spiritual and creative areas. If all teachers took cognisance of this then we would have less problems in the world.Instead we would be more likely to have fully rounded people with less depression, suicidal tendencies and less likey to engage in criminal activity!
I'm not making this up...research indicates! Who cares if I can spell or not.
At least Im promoting the all round development of children in a child centred way! Remember peeps ..."when love and skill work together ...expect a masterpiece"

PS My typing isn't the best either!...
PPS excuse spelling ...I'm not an English Teacher...I lecture in Education now and train teachers!

Purple said:
Judybaby73, I thought that secondary teachers did about 18 hours a week plus prep work 33 weeks a year. Are you saying that there is 20 hours plus prep work a week? Even if there should be, are you suggesting that the average teacher does this? I fully accept that the best teachers do this and more but your unions are against rewarding those who work hard so that cannot be taken into account when teachers’ pay is assessed.
18 hours a week 33 weeks a year is about 600 hours a year or just over 15 39-hour weeks. That's about €2'300 per week for each standard week worked. Not bad.

22 hours a week in a secondary school! Could be up till 3 or 4am correcting and setting work! I'm a fantastic Teacher (now Lecturer) though so well worth it...I guess.....

Re: secondary school teaching

DrMoriarty said:
Gel, sorry about the confusion — this was addressed to Judybaby73, not you!

a lot/alot whatever ....my spelling has nothing to do with this thread. It's a pity that you are going off the point. Sit up straight and pay attention DrMoriarty!
Please refer to previous post on my inability to spell! Not an excuse but a good explanation for my poor spelling. Its a pity though that I have to do it all the time.

If people want clarification on any disability (and not just dyslexia) please PM me! I'm an expert.

DrMoriarty? Doctor??? really? PhD?

Oh, come on now, Judybaby, let's not get too touchy! I only threw in that little ';)' comment because for someone so fond of the , confidence-boosting, character-developing line, it seemed to me you were being a little judgemental/condescending towards the other views being expressed...
Judybaby73 said:
Surely you can understand that. [...]
....maybe you need a good teacher to explain what I've just said!
But hey, you're the 'expert'. With a PhD in cherishing all abilities equally... :rolleyes:
Judybaby73 said:
I'm a fantastic Teacher (now Lecturer) though so well worth it [...]
I get outstanding results. I am not bias but I do think that the money is pathetic for teachers like me who work damn hard and get superb results! [...]
If people want clarification on any disability (and not just dyslexia) please PM me! I'm an expert.
And you have heuristically established that all your students' (and now student teachers') superb results are and always will be down to your own fantastic methods? I must try some of that research you mention.

I don't want to drag this any further off-topic, so — as you say — whatever...
(and yes, since you ask — really! :) )

gel said:
DrMoriarty

Look at Judybaby73’s post above and you will see that she has many more spelling mistakes than I. I can only assume that she is does not teach English.
Maybe she is the one that needs a good teacher. You did pick on me unfairly because there are other posts here which do not qualify for your high standards of prose.

ps how many spelling mistakes did I have?

As always everything is open to interpretation - I assumed DrM's post was referring to Judy's post not yours! Perhaps he'll verify for us?

Last edited:

DrMoriarty said:
Oh, come on now, Judybaby, let's not get too touchy! I only threw in that little ';)' comment because for someone so fond of the , confidence-boosting, character-developing line, it seemed to me you were being a little judgemental/condescending towards the other views being expressed...

But hey, you're the 'expert'. With a PhD in cherishing all abilities equally... :rolleyes:
And you have heuristically established that all your students' (and now student teachers') superb results are and always will be down to your own fantastic methods? I must try some of that research you mention.

I don't want to drag this any further off-topic, so — as you say — whatever...
(and yes, since you ask — really! :) )

Not touchy at all Dr!You missed the point actually! What's the PhD in? I have one too but I don't feel the need to use my title! Lmao! They seem to be giving them to anyone?...even dyslexics and .... ohhhh.....whatever!

In an effort to make amends for sidetracking the thread, can I refer the OP to this useful (ASTI) [broken link removed]?

DrMoriarty said:
Whatever, indeed... (I'd much prefer to use my true title, but it's deemed anachronistic!)
Peace, dear Learned Colleague? ;)

:D

War makes good history but peace is poor reading."

Thomas Hardy
:p
Peace...absolutley. I guess you should be forgiven as you haven't a clue what you are talking about especially in relation to our ecuation system!

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend."
-- Abraham Lincoln

:rolleyes:

Jb73, You really have to chill out. You are taking a few jocular remarks from DrM WAY to seriously.

Purple said:
Jb73, You really have to chill out. You are taking a few jocular remarks from DrM WAY to seriously.

nah ...I'm not really! if you only knew me!!!! It's called p*** t*****. My PhD is in that! But what I did say above is true!

I am new to this site as it was recommended to me by a friend. I am a teacher in the plc area and I was immediately drawn to this link, however I am shocked at the badgering that is taking place during this discussion. I feel that Judybaby gave an honest and intelligent answer to a question which was posed at the onset of this discussion. Personally speaking, I am approaching my 9th year as a teacher in the Performing Arts sector. I would never dream of recycling my notes year after year as this would provide a less than satisfactory response to students individual needs. It is indeed very easy to give the typical response 'teachers are overpaid'. I feel judy has been creative and uncomplaining in her response. Feel free to proof read my response. I'm sure you will find many typing errors.

Fran75 said:
I am new to this site as it was recommended to me by a friend. I am a teacher in the plc area and I was immediately drawn to this link, however I am shocked at the badgering that is taking place during this discussion. I feel that Judybaby gave an honest and intelligent answer to a question which was posed at the onset of this discussion. Personally speaking, I am approaching my 9th year as a teacher in the Performing Arts sector. I would never dream of recycling my notes year after year as this would provide a less than satisfactory response to students individual needs. It is indeed very easy to give the typical response 'teachers are overpaid'. I feel judy has been creative and uncomplaining in her response. Feel free to proof read my response. I'm sure you will find many typing errors.

Hello Fran75 and welcome to AAM. It is great to be joined on here by someone who understands! So Fran75....are you permanant yet? I mean you can't be ...you are only teaching 9 years?

Also Fran75 what do you think of the financial gains from teaching?? Are you as "rich" as me? Do you have your mortgage and shiny new car? People on here seem to think that us teachers have an easy life. What you think?

Finally Fran75 ...would you recommend it ....teaching that is ...??

Thank you for your welcome Judy. To answer some of your questions, no, I am not permanent, I drive a 98 reg car and I am certainly not rich!!! It is very difficult to become a permanent teacher and I would not recommend it as a career path. I do enjoy my job and I can tell from your passionate response that you feel the same. It is very satisfying, however if I could go back in time to nine years ago and I posed the question on this site, I would hope that someone like you would talk me out of it! Why? It requires long hours (over 18 hours per week!!) and there are alot of extra curricular activities!! My working day starts at 8.50 am and as of yet this term I have not returned home before 7pm. Then, I start correcting! Do you have a B post yet judy? I don't know how many years servitude you have completed?

I have a temp B post Fran75. It will be going in June! I am teaching since 1994. Employed in current position since 2000. Have you a contract of indefinite duration?

Do you teach FETAC modules too?

Judybaby73 said:
its having the ability to be creative too which is a far more important attribute.

It's "it's," not "its." :) (Sorry, one of my pet hates.)

On the other hand, I commend you for preparing for each class, day after day, rather than recycling the same old stuff like some of the lifers out there.

It requires long hours (over 18 hours per week!!)
Yes, I sympathise with those "long" hours! Did you really mean eighty hours?
If this is common-place, surely the teachers unions could take a case to Europe under the working time directive?

Re: Secondary school teaching:can't seem to get a job as a sub, even for a day.Any ad

Dwellers OP was as follows:

can't seem to get a job as a sub, even for a day.Any advice? Only have a degree by the way, no hdip.
Dweller

Has dwellers original question been answered?

aj

Back