second UB claim in 2 years

Cornie

Hope someone can help me here. My husband was in full time employment all his life and was put on a 3 day week in Feb 2009 and claimed UB for the other days. This went on for a couple of months and he was let go altogether in April or May. He got full UB up until Sept when he got another part time job and only claimed UB for the days he didn't work. As far as I know his employer was paying a stamp every week for him so he should have his min 26 contributions for 2009. He continued to get UB until April of this year and he received nothing after this as I am working and earn above the treshold. He had little or no work during the summer and then started a new job in September of this year. However this job is a total nightmare. He is driving for up to 13 hours a day 5 days a week and his health is starting to suffer already. He is getting less than the min wage for the hours he works, c. €8 per hour. He definately cannot continue in this job and is totally demoralised.
My questions...
If he leaves will he be able to get JB again?
Does he need to stick it out for 13 weeks to qualify?
Should we be reporting this company for exploitation of workers (most of the employees are from Eastern europe and we get the feeling that they are happy to accept the conditions)

It is an absolute disgrace that the country has come to this. Apart from the fact that it is wholly immoral to treat their employees like this, the company seem to have no regard for road safety. They are exempt from tachograph use as they are transporting perishable goods, but it is illegal for a driver to drive those hours. I'm pretty sure that it is illegal for any worker to work these hours under the working time act. Last night one of the bosses had a go at him when he arrived back in the yard after driving for 12 hours, apparantly the previous driver (from eastern europe) used to do the run in 11 hours. Now, I wonder which of them was obeying the rules of the road? Sorry, rant over!

Back