Second hand wood front door as side gate.

DannyBoyD

I need to replace the side gate on my house.

Any reason I couldn't use a second hand wood front door?

Lots of second hand teak doors for sale & considerably cheaper than even basic materials.

I'd be thinking about the aesthetic of it first and foremost. Might not be a good look.

This I'd be concerned about its response to our variable climate. I'd be concerned about warping and separation of the door and it's component pieces over time and temperature even if you treat it to within an inch of its life.

Reactions: KOW
I'd be thinking about the aesthetic of it first and foremost. Might not be a good look.
As a garden gate, I'm not too worried - don't see that its any worse than most of the shed-like gates I see around.
This I'd be concerned about its response to our variable climate. I'd be concerned about warping and separation of the door and it's component pieces over time and temperature even if you treat it to within an inch of its life.
Did the same concerns apply when these doors were installed on peoples homes?

I was thinking more along the lines of installing the door / gate & anything that might be an issue?

Weight and cutting to shape if needed might be issues. Teak is a dense wood and was/is used for the decks of ships due to its hardwearing qualities. Just be careful how its suspended. I'm amazed a 2nd-hand teak door would be cheaper than a soft-wood side gate.

Back