second hand mobile

T

tobo

My spouse and i were going to get new mobile phones as ours are a little prehistoric. My two neices then told me that they had got new mobile phones for Christmas and that we could have their old ones (not really so old!!). They have pay-as-you-go phones on the Orange network in the UK. The phones are Nokia 33something. Would my spouse and I be able to use them by just putting our SIM cards in those phones or will those phones be locked into the Orange network? If they are locked in, is there anyway of unlocking them? We are with O2 in case that is of any significance.

Thanks

Would my spouse and I be able to use them by just putting our SIM cards in those phones or will those phones be locked into the Orange network? If they are locked in, is there anyway of unlocking them?

If the phones were part of a "pay as you go" rather than monthly contract package then chances are they are locked to the original network. If a certain amount of credit (varies but c. €125 would be in or around standard in Ireland) has been bought for them over the period of ownership (allowing the provider to recoup the cost of any handset subsidy) then the service provider will normally unlock them for free. Otherwise they may charge a fee. Alternatively independent third parties, some of them legitimate some of them possibly not, may be able to unlock them or you may be able to get unlocking codes or software by searching the web. There is also a possibility that the phones are also locked to the original SIM in which case unlocking in this respect will also be required. Once the phones are unlocked they should be usable on any network.

Re: Mobile phone

Unlock most Nokia models for free at [broken link removed].

Re: Mobile phone

I did try the Doctors link on two Nokia phones and it worked , Thanks Doc

Back