Second hand car for 7 grand - suggestions?

txirimiri

Hi there, we need to get a family car and have around 7 grand to spend. Back seat needs to be big enough for one car seat, one booster seat and the ocassional older cousin sitting in the middle (pref. with a backless booster seat). Hatchback or estate. Reliablility over driving style more important these days (much to the great sorrow of my husband ....). Needs to be reasonably economical to run.

Any ideas?

Should add that I'd prefer to buy from a dealer within a 100 mile radius of Dublin and no finance needed - we'd be paying there and then in cash/cheque

how much driving diesel or petrol?

plenty of the standard estates out there, make sure you look for safety features too. highest NCAP you can get.

try www.carzone.ie for seach

[broken link removed]

For reliability go Japanese, the larger engines are going cheaper. Cost = higher road tax , but they are capable of doing higher mileage. later engines are much more efficient, some 1.8s can do up to 45 on a run or even better if it's a diesel.

how much driving diesel or petrol?

plenty of the standard estates out there, make sure you look for safety features too. highest NCAP you can get.

try www.carzone.ie for seach

[broken link removed]

Mainly city driving and not daily. Both husband and I work to work. Supermarket runs, children to activities and friends, visiting family and friends on Sundays, infrequent weekends away in Ireland, that sort of stuff. Not bothered whether it is diesel or petrol.

[broken link removed]

For your money this looks good I think. Your not going to tick every box with what your looking for and the money you have got to spend. Very soft driver seat in these but i drove one for a few weeks on holidays and thought it was good.

For reliability go Japanese, the larger engines are going cheaper. Cost = higher road tax , but they are capable of doing higher mileage. later engines are much more efficient, some 1.8s can do up to 45 on a run or even better if it's a diesel.

Has to be Mazda all the way :) when it comes to reliability there's nothing to compare IMHO and we've been driving them since 1979. Not great on juice or trade-in price but well worth it in reliability, comfort and safety. [broken link removed]

Has to be Mazda all the way :) when it comes to reliability there's nothing to compare IMHO and we've been driving them since 1979. Not great on juice or trade-in price but well worth it in reliability, comfort and safety. [broken link removed]

Yes would aggree Mazdas are great. Good suggestion.

Should be planty of mazda 6's in budget so. They go as far back as 2005 at least if not further.

Thanks for all the posts - they have been really helpful. Any views on Skodas? Had been assuming that, as they are not a luxury car, they would be a low resale value, so we might pick up a good deal? Or Saabs - presumably not a big demand for second hand ones these days? Someone akso told me that Volvos have a surprisingly low resale value in Ireland but all the ones I have seen on carzone seem fairly pricey

I just changed my Scoda Octavia for a Toyota Avensis. The Scoda was 4/5 years old when I bought it and I had too many faults during the two years that I owned it. Including 2 x Coil pack failures, Rain leaking in the windrscreen, Door refusing to open, Heater blower motor failure, rear wiper electrics, headlight level motor failed. The first 2 points my neigbour also had the same problems with a 06 Octavia.

All the problems with the skoda sound like wear and ter bar the rain leak.

coil packs and the electric thing will break now and then.

Should all have been relativley easy to fix.

Just watch for taxi octavia being sold and not telling.

Have kia rio saloon, very affordable car so for 7000 cash u should be able to source 06/07 (go with EX all the extras), this is my second one so very happy with them. First petrol but now diesel as tax cheaper/fuel econonmy.

Back seat roomy but one day had baby carrytot, largish carseat and booster seat for three year old, tight fit to get back door closed, no chance three year old own carseat would have fitted. However in ford mondeo few days later with same three kids, same problem. Excellent boot space also in kia.

Definitely buy diesel.

Remember it's a buyers market at the moment....so never give the asking price...in fact if I had 7k to spend I'd expect to looks at cars being offered in the 7k-8.5k price range ;-)

Thanks again for all the feedback - lots of food for thought. Totallyskint, that is a good point about looking for a discount. I was assuming that as we would be ready to buy immediately with the cash in hand we should look for a discount of maybe 5 - 10%? I reckon we will start off looking at cars in the 8 grand price range and see how we get on bargaining downwards! We could prob stretch to 7,200 or 7,300 maximum

Pity we cant trade on aam I have a 'next to new' Polo 05 with 12,000 miles. could suit and well looked after.

Picked up a 07 Pugeot 307 Zenith with 15,000 Miles for not much more than your budget should be do-able for €7,5 Cash. The 307 has plenty of room in the rear for my two and the booth is large enough.

Back