Second hand car for €12-14K

A

anastasia

Any advice on what could one get for a maximum of €14,000 cash.
We want:
2004 upwards ??
1.6 Engine upwards.
Good reputation and reliable, looks not important (sounds like a personals ad:) ).
Any advice appreciated.

Excellent, thanks Ronan - would I be right in thinking that 2nd hand cars have come down significantly in value over the past year, as far as I can see there does not seem to be much (if any) saving in importing from UK?

if you drop your engine size down to 1.4, you'll get a much better choice of the more reliable makes such as Honda/Toyota. You never mention what size car are you looking at?

We have a small car already - but we do a lot of miles up and down the country and need another car - this time we'd like to make the long drives a bit more comfortable, so a family sized car would be our preference - type will be limited by budgetary constraints - no smaller than a focus and no bigger than a passat.

If you are doing decent mileage, maybe a diesel.
What sort of mileage is acceptable for a diesel? What sort of longevity would a diesel engine have? (say a passat 1.9 or the like).

I reckon to make a diesel really work for you the mileage would need to be significantly higher than average.

Perhaps 25,000 miles per annum?

You could go against the grain and go for a , say, a 94/95 mercedes e-class. Bullet proof cars, cheap servicing, built for motorway driving and you'll pick up one for about 3000euros. Heavier fuel bills will be offset by lower depreciation and lower servicing costs.

I reckon to make a diesel really work for you the mileage would need to be significantly higher than average.

Perhaps 25,000 miles per annum?
I used to think 20k was ok, but since diesel is now more expensive than petrol by 2-3c/litre, 25k would be a better estimate

I used to think 20k was ok, but since diesel is now more expensive than petrol by 2-3c/litre, 25k would be a better estimate

Eh? I have never seen diesel more expensive than petrol in the stations, sometimes they are the same price but have yet to see this. Is this the case now?

I have seen it, makes no sense as diesel is easier to refine therefore should be cheaper.

There was a sneaky extra tax on diesel last year or the year before which has caught it up with petrol prices.

Greedy shower of (fill in own expletive here) government has the motorist nailed to the wall.

Back