Screws for securing toilet

M

McG 1

Hi,
Does anyone know what kind of screws are required for securing a toilet to the floor? We've tried asking in Homebase/B&Q/Woodies but they never have the right person to answer the question. We've just moved into a second hand apartment and the toilets are not secured to the floor.
Thanks

Hi

Is it a wooden or concrete floor? If wooden use 4" wood screws if concrete you'll need to sink a few plugs first.

Don't over-tighten the screws or you'll break the loo. I know from bitter experience........

p.

Re: Thanks

Builders' suppliers will generally tell you how to do such stuff. (They'd probably give you the screws for free too!)

Smiths of the Greenhills road, Tallaght, are particularly good at giving advice, and don't care how small the job is.

Re: Thanks

You could "glue" it to the floor using Silicone.

I suggest that gluing it is a bad idea. The moment of your force when pushing and shoving after a tough night out finished off by a curry could break the glue and lead to a very messy situation!!

Seriously, you need about size 6 by 100MM screws. I'd imagine your upstairs toilets are wooden floors unless you're in an apartment block. Bear in mind that you'll get away without lifting the toilet if it is over wood as you can screw into wood without drilling, but the last few turns will take it out of you big time. Having said that, personally I would think you should lift the toilet and pre drill as its so much easier.

If its over concrete, to get plugs in you have to remove the toilet. Doing this will be far more work that the 2 screws! make sure you drill in exactly the right place!!

Additionally, i think plumbers screw in with a bit of plumbers thread stuff when securing to floors. Not sure if its to prevent water going in to where the screws are or what, but I have defo seen it done with the thready/hairy stuff.

Re: ..

I suggest that gluing it is a bad idea. The moment of your force when pushing and shoving after a tough night out finished off by a curry could break the glue and lead to a very messy situation!!
legend, I don't doubt the force your ... :rollin
Seriously though, have you ever tried to remove a toilet that has been set with Silicone? It's extremely tough.

Back