Scratches on car, cost to fix??

drtop03

Hi all,
I have recently scratches the whole right back door on my Nissan micra, has anyone any idea how much it might cost I’m literally so upset about it so any information will help me greatly. I can’t attach photos on here for some reason but it is about 25cm of white scratches from top to the bottom on the door panel. Doesn’t seem to be dented. The scratches are white and smooth when I run my hand over them. Sorry about the vagueness of the post I wish I could post photos. Any advice would really help
Thanks for your time

The scratches are white and smooth when I run my hand over them.
If this is the case then I would suspect that they are smudges and not actually scratches.

If you have any 'rubbing compound' I would try that on it, if not, just to prove that they are indeed smudges, try rubbing (only on a small part) with some toothpaste on a soft cloth across the smudge. It this removes it then buy a bottle of 'rubbing compound' in a motor factors (follow instructions on bottle) and you should be able to remove all traces.

I have a lovely 2003 Peugeot in great running order and very low mileage. It has a few small dents, scrapes etc. Like the OP I was thinking of treating it to a makeover by removing the 3 tiny dents and about 4 scrapes. Then a new set of number plates. What would be the rough cost of getting this job done?

I have a lovely 2003 Peugeot in great running order and very low mileage. It has a few small dents, scrapes etc. Like the OP I was thinking of treating it to a makeover by removing the 3 tiny dents and about 4 scrapes. Then a new set of number plates. What would be the rough cost of getting this job done?
Find a local body shop and get a quote . Body repairs can be quite expensive. I’d stay well clear of ace body repairs or the larger operations. They are all excellent but expensive

I have found Dentpro in Dublin very good for removing small dents and scratches too. Their prices are reasonable and the work is excellent.
They charge per panel rather than the number of dents AFIK. They have a few locations - I used the one in Tallaght off Airton Road If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago.

A kettle of hot water and a toilet plunger will work wonders with small dents or similar. Very easy to spend a grand on something that the above will remedy 100%.

I have recently scratches the whole right back door on my Nissan micra, has anyone any idea how much it might cost ?
This company will quote online if you send photos. https://www.carcraft.ie/

The location might not be convenient to you, but put Dublin as your location and you will get a quote.

I have used them twice, not recently but they are still around.

I did not think their workmanship was great, small amount of paint on the lens, minor imperfections on repaired panels, but they charged about a third what main dealers had quoted.

Ideal for older cars or tidying up Slurry Slump’s 03 Peugeot.

If you want perfection on a newer decent car you would be better going elsewhere.

Last edited:
Car Cosmetix was the best rated on Google in dublin when i did research about two years ago. Lots of good feedback on quality and price. I send them plenty of pics for a quote.

Not an expert but if you want it to look like new they will want to paint the whole panel.

IIRC they quoted 380 to spray rear bumper and (large) rear quarter panel (wheel arch) on a micra sized three door car. (There was some dents and scratches on panel). I was very happy with the result.

They were very busy I had to book about one month in advance.

I recently fixed some scratches on my car with T-Cut.

There is a protective layer above the paint on your car and more than likely this is what's scratched.

T-Cut is essentially coloured wax that fills the scratch in the layer above the paint. It's costs about €15 and comes in a variety of colours. Just get one the same colour as your car.

I did all the scratches on the car some of which were worse than others and pretty deep. The deep scratches are only visible on very close inspection. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I washed the car first, applied the T-Cut and then did a lot of buffing.

Anyone agree that the T-Cut (rubbing compound) of today is nowhere as good as the T-Cut of yesteryear?

Find an independent panel beater and you will get it done very reasonbly. Some charge half of what another will charge so shop around. I was quoted 500 euro in one place and 150 euro in another for some dents and scratches on a rear door. The work done by the 150 euro guy was excellent.

I recently fixed some scratches on my car with T-Cut.

There is a protective layer above the paint on your car and more than likely this is what's scratched.

T-Cut is essentially coloured wax that fills the scratch in the layer above the paint. It's costs about €15 and comes in a variety of colours. Just get one the same colour as your car.

I did all the scratches on the car some of which were worse than others and pretty deep. The deep scratches are only visible on very close inspection. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I washed the car first, applied the T-Cut and then did a lot of buffing.
How do you buff hahaha

A word to the wise, you can do a lot of damage to the paint work on your vehicle, if you think you just rub on and buff off. Thats ok for most older vehicles. They can take a bit of rough and tumble on the paint work.

Newer vehicles have a softer top coat that does not stand up to a heavy grade compound like T-cut. Using a machine to buff, actually warms up the Top coat, and is effectively thinning out the lacquer and smoothing it out diminishing the scratch.

Never use a cloth to rub on and off the t-cut by hand, you will destroy the paint work.

Never use a cloth to rub on and off the t-cut by hand, you will destroy the paint work.
I beg to differ, ONLY use a cloth or you may destroy the paintwork.
As per instructions on bottle :-
Also here:-
And here:-

If only use a cloth too.no normal cloth but a special cloth which you can buy with T cut
I don't think there is any need to buy a 'special' cloth.

As per manufacturers instructions:- T-Cut
Any (damp) cloth to apply. ( I have achieved better results using soft cloths)
Any soft lint free (dry) cloth to remove.

Microfibre cloths are preferred by some when removing/buffing.

Last edited:
As regards the "cloth" to use? If it's not Microfibre then you're 99% sure to be very sorry indeed. If it's just washing and drying your car the same principal applies. Never ever use a J Cloth or bathroom towel, torn t-shirt, etc. Yes, it will do certain things to make your car look better, as does a bluntish blade in your razor when you shave.:)

Back