Scrap metal merchant for small amounts?

Bronco Lane

I have accumulated bits of scrap metal. Old shears, bits of metal, car battery etc. Maybe a wheelbarrow full. Is there ant scrap merchant in Dublin that will purchase small amounts of scrap?

i think St Margarets recycling centre do. was only up there scrapping a car once but they seem to do it. but i think it goes on weight so probably not going to get much!

Ive seen a sign on an archway in Rathmines for McGovern Metals Recyling. I've never used them, but I assume thats what they do?

Back on topic.

Don't expect much for it, unless you've copper, lead or aluminium in there. Mixed metal is worth about 50 to 80 a tonne, depending on how clean it is.

Car batteries are now classed as hazardous wastes, and nobody legitimate will give you money for them.

Thanks. You know when you see the people in India and similar places rummaging through dumps for bits and pieces to recycle it shames me that we are such a throw away nation.

Thanks. You know when you see the people in India and similar places rummaging through dumps for bits and pieces to recycle it shames me that we are such a throw away nation.
We have strong environmental laws here so we just export our pollution to places like India so we can pretend to be virtuous. They pick scrap there because a) they are dirt poor and b) they have weak environmental laws and don't have to cover the related costs which we have.
As for your own scrap metal; put it in your recycle bin. It may find it's way to India.

Dublin city council used to run an annual collection for this sort of non-household waste... you would see vans driving around scavenging anything useful that had been left out. Scrapped due to cutbacks :(

Back