Scored Walls Disaster

MissRibena

The inevitable has happened - it's all going horribly wrong!

In new bathroom (converting bedroom), I got expensive (€50 m2) tiles for one wall as a feature. Went through it all with tiler who is going to do it tomorrow for me and miraclously he turned up last night a day early (!!) to score the lovely plastered wall in preparation. He's a nice guy and is turning up when expected and is giving me a hand with other non-tile related work as a favour.

I was downstairs clearing out presses ahead of a new worktop/sink refit shenangins and went upstairs to see how he was getting on (cue suspense music). Went in and ohmygod he has scored ALL the walls!!!!

Can't afford to tile all the room in my mad dear tiles and the walls should probably be reskimmed as polyfilla would be a total nightmare, so I came up with the idea that if he can make the gouges flush (with grout or whatever), I'll get the walls wallpapered. He has offered to do the wallpapering for me.

Am I mad to accept this? He's a nice guy and I don't want to be a b*tch about it but don't want to be stupid either.

Rebecca

Wallpaper in a bathroom? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Could you buy a plain tile to tile the rest of the room, leaving one wall as a feature and ask him to reduce his fee by the cost of the tiles?

As someone who is doing up a bathroom I have to agree.
Wallpaper , even my old favourite tiling on a roll just won't last. After a while the edges will be visible.
Check out which option is cheapest ,re skimming or cheaper tiles. I would say he could get it skimmed for you but have a quick look at tiles that could compliment the features and strike a deal.
At the least he should comp you for the cost of reskimming...

Would that new plaster stuff do the trick? You know the one where it makes skimming easy peasy?

I reckon wallpaper would be a temporary solution at best and would only do it with a view to saving for tiles in the meantime. It should be possible to pick up some plain tiles for pretty cheap.

I reckon reskimming the walls is your, sorry -his, best option. It'd be harsh, but possibly fair, to get him to pay for a plasterer, though he might know one. Though take a look at this stuff [broken link removed] I've never used it or know anyone that has but would guess that as a bathroom is a relatively small area it might be ok.

Hmmm... looks like we'll be skimming.

Even if I had the money, I don't think I'd tile the rest of the walls as I'm just not into tiles really. My mother and sister both have their bathrooms wallpapered for years without any visible seams or lifting corners, so that's why I thought that it would be a fairly good option. I'd prefer wallpaper to tiles for sure.

Mind you, we're talking to the woman with the freestanding bath and carpet :) This bathroom is not the main bathroom but my own "boudoir" type thing. It's big 4m x 3m and is supposed to be luxurious in a soak-in-the-bath-for-two-hours-with-a-glass-of-wine way. Big double shower, free-standing restored cast iron roll-top bath (so long as the tap restorer guy doesn't make a hames of it), linen chest and antique towel rails and hopefully ornate brass loo roll holder & accessories (fingers crossed on ebay) :)

I have to admit that however ill-advised it might be, the idea of someone doing the papering and not having to paint yet another room is kinda tempting.

Rebecca

Sounds heavenly. Tiles can be a bit austere or cold - not in keeping really with what you want. At the end of the day, its your call, but the only thing is that at least if you skim and then wallpaper you have the option to remove the wallpaper later and paint without having to skim at that stage. Some people put tongue and groove on the wall in bathrooms- you can even get fake pvc t & g to cover over such defects. Although to my mind it looks better if it doesnt cover the entire wall- ie that it only goes to waist height or three quarters of the wall.

Dunno about the carpet though!:)

Vanilla, you are a genius! The scoring only goes to 120cm high so I could tongue and grove goodo over it. Still might go with the wallpaper for now but at least I don't feel like I'm backed into a (wallpapered) corner. :)

Rebecca

Would wallpaper (to dado height), as opposed to timber sheeting and a dado rail not another (cheaper) appropriate solution?

You're a genius too Carpenter. Thanks a million everyone!

I'm miles happier now. If it ever gets finished and doesn't look like a dog's dinner, I'll have an extra glass of wine for ye :)

Rebecca

Back