Scooter stolen and no claims gone?

mcrean

Hi, I had a scooter for over 3 years and was insured with Aon Bike Care, the scooter was stolen 2 years ago and I claimed for the loss as I had fully comp insurance, now I want to upgrade to a Honda Deauville and I have been told that because I claimed for something that wasnt my fault, I am going to lose my no claims bonus. Is this the case? It looks like a complete scam to me? Can someone please enlighten me.

Did you read the terms & conditions of your policy document before (a) purchasing the insurance cover and (b) claiming on it? What did they say about claims and their effect on non claims bonus?

Unfortunately I cant remember what was in them but probably didnt read through them like most people

If the terms & conditions specify that you lose your NCB when you claim and you didn't read them then I fail to spot the scam to be honest.

Thanks Clubman, I would have claimed against the thiefs insurance as it was his fault but he didnt contact me afterwards with his details

Why - did you read the terms and conditions of his policy but not your own or something?

I'm afraid the question of who's at fault doesn't generally come into the picture with insurance claims. The gneral rule is - If you make a claim against your policy, you lose your NCB.

You lose your no claims bonus but only as it applies to the comprehensive component of your insurance, you should keep your third party no claims bonus which is more valuable. That is how it works for cars (with some companies at least), not sure about motorbike cover.

Try ringing the insurance federation of Ireland to complain...

(with some companies at least)

this inconsistency is ridiculous. A few years ago my car was broken into, I used windscreen cover on the policy to replace the rear side window. The next year when looking for quotes Quinn Direct wouldn't quote me because they treated this as a claim on the policy. I have since got quotes from Quinn direct that include windscreen cover...

Back