School bus driver and foul language?

elainem

Hi! My friend's children go on the same school bus as mine, and she has encountered a problem with the driver which I feel show the driver in a bad light and makes me think he is quite unhinged, which also makes me nervous about using the school bus service.

Basically, she complained to bus driver's boss that the bus driver was insisting her children got off the bus when it arrived early. The boss spoke to driver and said this wansn't ok. However, next day, other kids on the bus reported that he had reffered to my friend as a fu...king ******* and fu.....ing bithch when he saw her bringing the children to the bus. My friend again complained to bus driver's boss. However, a couple of days later when my friend's childminder asked what time should she collect them from the bus that evening, he said 'the same fu....ing time as always'. Apparently, there were several children on the bus at this time, and not just her own two. Then, a couple of days later, the bus driver started tooting the horn aggressively at my friend outside the school while she was talking to another parent, though my friend was not in his way. The other parent went to talk to the bus driver to see what was wrong and the bus driver said to this other parent that my friend was 'always in his fu....ing way. Then last Thursday, the bus driver came over to my friend in her car, completely unsolicited, and began saying that he was a victim in all this; that her son (aged 7) had insulted him - apparently when other children had said that he had no hair, my friend's son piped up and said he could see the bus driver had quite a lot of hair - this was an accurate observation. When my friend asked the bus driver to move away from her car, he became insulting and said he could see how her children were from how she was - there have been no issues that she knows with the children on the bus - and he was going to report her and her children to the school, board of management etc. - my friend apparently said that if he wanted to do that, she couldn't stop him.

My friend later made a complaint to the bus company and school bus inspector, but the bus driver was only taken off for one day and returned the next day. Although my friend had given the names of the witnesses to the bus driver's behaviour, neither the bus company nor the school bus inspector ever contacted them.

I am quite shcoked by all this. To be honest, I feel the bus driver has anger issues and really shouldn't be driving young kids. My friend heard that some people say he flies off the handle easily I also feel it is quite unhinged behaviour, and feel nervous about my own kids going on the bus, just in case, maybe one day, they are the object of his ire.

Is the situation that my friend is in with the school bus acceptable? Is she over-reaching? Would anyone else have concerns about this type of behaviour from a school bus driver? Would such complaints, made only verbally, to the bus company, school bus inspector, not really be seen as serious or meriting investigation?

Poor bus driver, having to deal with all these parents.

For sure his attitude is poor and his language foul but I'm pretty sure if he waits for one parent too long, the next will complain that he is late. He's never going to win, is he?

My opinion is that your friend is overreacting and that you should leave it between her and the bus driver.

I may not have the ins and outs of it, but if the bus driver is contracted to pick up the kids at a certain time, and drop them off at a certain time, then he has to do that, particularly with younger kids (I'm assuming primary school). I can't make out from your message if she was delaying him by talking to other parents, or by not picking up the kids on time. His behaviour is way way out of line.

ETA, I took a bus to school for 6 years, but it was secondary school. The bus driver could get shirty, but usually when he was provoked and I never felt unsafe.

Not sure what the focus is by some posters on the incident where your friend could or could not have been delaying the driver, when there are other examples of some odd behaviour and inappropriate language from the driver. Even if she had been delaying, I'm not sure there was any reason for him to approach her vehicle.

I think if your has concerns, particuarly about the language then she should complain formally to the bus company in writing. I know we can be accused of being over sensitive, but to be honest I don't see why that language should be tollerated or at least how someone wouldn't expect to be pulled up on the language in such a scenario. It isn't too much to ask an organisation to ask employees to demonstrate common decency while at work.

If that doesn't achieve a satisfactory solution or, as is indicated it escalates issues, then I think it gets tricky as to where to go next. I assume the contract for the bus service is with the Department of Education or local authority rather than the school? I'm honestly unsure, but the next step might be to that following a reasonable amount of time for the bus company to address the issue, the next contact is the school and the LA.

I'm confused, why would your friend be at the school with her car if her child uses the bus service for her child to get to / from school?

Frankly, I'm surprised that all school bus drivers aren't unhinged by the mischief and bullying that seems to be an integral part of the school bus 'experience'.

School bus driver foul language?

Hi! Thanks for replies. My friend only works Mon, Tue, Wed, so is able to drop and pick up her kids from school on the other days, that's why her car was there.

Re. being late. My friend is never late - a bit of a punctuality freak!! Her childminder was late once when she forgot it was her day to collect the children. My friend's complaint was not to do with her lateness and expecting the bus driver to wait, but with the bus driver arriving early and just insisting the kids get off the bus.

My friend's complaint was not to do with her lateness and expecting the bus driver to wait, but with the bus driver arriving early and just insisting the kids get off the bus.

Maybe he was in a hurry to get to the next location, it must be stressful driving everyday and trying to be everywhere on time. Maybe he's annoyed at your friend for causing trouble for him. Is there anything wrong with the children getting off the bus early?

What age are the children? I don't think it's acceptable in primary school for kids to be just left on the side of the road.

I don't think your friend or you are overreacting at all. This bus driver should not only keep the children on the bus until their paremts get there, but he should also amuse them. I mean, what's wrong with getting a clowns suit and making sure they are happy ? He should also say hello individually to them every day and ring their parents when he arrives at the destination. If the parents are late, he should look after them till they get there. We all need to be flexible so working late and being held up by chatting parents is part of his remit. What's the world coming to when you just can't get someone reliable to keep your little dorlings amused ! he should count himself lucky he has a job.

I'm baffled how people can defend the driver for abusive behaviour/language. Its entirely unprofessional. The drivers appears completely unsuitable for the job. Any job tbh.

Complain to the School Principal if the school has hired in the transport or to Bus Éireann if they're running it.

Your original complaint hasn't led to an improvement in behaviour so complain above that person's head or go back to original person complained to and re-iterate that no improvement seen.

On the other hand, traffic can be uncertain so parents should try to be at the bus stop earlier than the planned arrival time. In no circumstances should the kids be left alone at the side of the street, if the driver really insisted on this that should be a firing offence.

I don't think your friend or you are overreacting at all. This bus driver should not only keep the children on the bus until their paremts get there, but he should also amuse them. I mean, what's wrong with getting a clowns suit and making sure they are happy ? He should also say hello individually to them every day and ring their parents when he arrives at the destination. If the parents are late, he should look after them till they get there. We all need to be flexible so working late and being held up by chatting parents is part of his remit. What's the world coming to when you just can't get someone reliable to keep your little dorlings amused ! he should count himself lucky he has a job.

I am completely :eek: at this reply!!!!

Driver's dislike of OP's friend and vice versa aside, I would have serious issues with a foul language in front of the children and leaving them on the side of the road when the bus arrived early. You can't expect a bus driver to entertain and mind your kids for you but a little bit of common sense goes a long way. Imagine if something happened to the kids in the few minutes they were waiting for the parent on their own just because the bus driver was too stroppy to wait.

Unbelievable post. You aren't the bus driver by any chance??

Back