Scholarstown Wood vs Odins Way

Monte2014

Hi all,

After giving up on buying a 2nd hand property in Dublin 14/16 we are considering buying a 4 bed new build house in scholarstown wood and Odins way. Both are circa 600k. We like both developments in terms of location etc. However, scholarstown wood will have 244 houses and 70 apartments when completed and Odins Way will have 30 houses. Odins Way is a more traditional build but scholarstown wood is a better design layout by an award winning architect (O Mahony Pike). Odins Way is nearer to Marley Park and St Endas but it is surrounded by Pearse Brothers Park and Whitechurch. Scholarstown Wood is nearer to the mountains but there seems to be alot of future development about to happen on stocking avenue thus leading to potential traffic congestion. Scholarstown Wood seems to have better storage in terms of future attic conversion whereas Odins Way has 4th bedroom already in attic.

Has anyone bought in either estate or have any preferences / ideas?

Hi Monte,
I'm not sure if it's an issue for you or not, but school catchment areas may be something you need to consider. For instance Scholarstown Wood falls within the catchment for St. Colmcille's Community School, but Odin's Wood wouldn't. While being within the catchment doesn't by any means guarantee a place in the community school (and many local children have to go elsewhere), being outside it will mean you have no realistic chance of getting a place. I'm not sure how this would apply to national schools or to other secondary schools in the area, or indeed if it is something that you need to consider at all, but it might be something you hadn't thought about.

I can't help you on the relative merits of these developments sorry!

Schools in area were sticky on baptism certs etc in the past. Unsure if & how legislation has changed this in recent 5 years.

Scholarstown wood definitely is not in catchment area for st colmcilles. I made enquiries.

Thank you for all your replies. Chicci, I presume you are referring to St Colmcilles National School? I went onto St Colmcilles Community school website and it shows Scholarstown Wood as part of the catchment area. See below link.

[broken link removed]

Monte,

I know the area very well. I haven't been in either of the houses themselves so my comments are based on the locality. St Endas and Marlay are great resources. Pearse Bros Park is absolutely no harm. Well settled. Whitechurch less so but still a lot better than it used to be and to a large extent - contained. I'd probably pick Odins over Scholarstown way as the routes to (Dundrum, Terenure, Blackrock, City Centre, Ballsbridge) are more direct from there. Good local shops - SQ Ballinteer is as close as SQ Knocklyon would be to SW. Lidl beside the park etc.
The traffic in the morning around scholarstown is already bad and there are large developments planned. It can only get worse.
Odins would be only a km or so further from accessing the M50 than SW and you can always access it the other way at the Dundrum / Sandyford point.

Also Odins is closer to the nearest luas which are all across the other side.

My 2 cents.

Yes, agree with Chicci, SW is not in catchment for Colmcilles Primary School. Ballyroan, also nearby, won't entertain that address as their catchment either.

Double-checked and SW is not in Primary School catchment, it is in Whitechurch. Talked to a young couple who bought in SW and they were gutted to find out after they moved in that they were not part of the Colmcille primary school catchement. The secondary school is much smaller than the primary school so if you can't get in there, you would not continue on to the secondary school.

Back