Schedule E Expenses

R

robbie2828

I came across a list of Schedule E expenses due in a tax briefing supplement recently. For example expenses due to a Dentist are €376 in 2005 & due to a Pharmacist €160 etc. Could someone please let me know the relevance of these? Are they allowable as deductions in a tax return ( tax credits ) or are they to be deducted from income prior to calculating tax at the 20% & 42% rates. It appears to me that these are deductions individuals are unaware of.

I think (and stand corrected) that these are expenses that a dentist etc can claim when they are making their personal returns to revenue

You can only claim back taxes of certains dentistry work like crown ect... form Med2 must be filled up and signed by your dentist before making the claim.
On routine checkup, fillings, cleaning, you cannot claim back any taxes.
for more details of what you can claim

robbie2828 said:
I came across a list of Schedule E expenses due in a tax briefing supplement recently. For example expenses due to a Dentist are €376 in 2005 & due to a Pharmacist €160 etc. Could someone please let me know the relevance of these? Are they allowable as deductions in a tax return ( tax credits ) or are they to be deducted from income prior to calculating tax at the 20% & 42% rates. It appears to me that these are deductions individuals are unaware of.

These are a tax credit due only to a person employed under PAYE in the relevant occupation, i.e., a dentist employed on a PAYE basis gets a credit of €376 in addition to their usual personal tax credits.

The list includes various occupations that generally have out of pocket expenses such as uniforms, professional subcriptions etc. The full list of occupations and credits are here; [broken link removed]

They are not credits/allowances for incurring expenditure on the categories.

Back